Those who follow us regularly may recall a recent post I made, an ode dedicated to the love of my life, Mrs. Toad.  The post titled “Celebrating 12 Years” talks about our anniversary and what it means to me, and notes that at that time we had one flipper out the proverbial door as we headed out for a weekend getaway.  In today’s post we’re going to check out a few pictures we took during our stay at our favorite resort, the very same resort we honeymooned at and love to return to every chance we can.

A Beautiful Ocean View - Vancouver Island, BC, Canada

A Beautiful Ocean View – Vancouver Island, BC, Canada –

As we arrived at Fossil Bay Resort for the first evening of our stay, we were greeted by the fleeting light of day as the sun set on the western horizon.  This set the perfect tone for the evening and we then anticipated the sunset for the next day and got ready to capture it in all of its magnificence.  It’s been said that no two sunsets are the same, and no where is this more evident than on the coast where the horizon seems to dip and disappear into the distance, seemingly forever.  It’s hard to tell from this picture, but it was very, very cold this day as we stood on the deck of our private cabin and took in the special show nature had in store for us.

A Beautiful Ocean View - Vancouver Island, BC, Canada

A Beautiful Ocean View – Vancouver Island, BC, Canada –

Immediately after capturing the sunset, we turned to see a misty coastline as the very last light of day accented the rugged and beautiful coast.  Due to the lack of light, exposure times were long, making the churning waters of the powerful ocean tides a smooth and blue surface.  If you look closely you can see the golden light of the sunset dancing off the windows of a house that is deeply embedded in the forest that surrounds it.  A strong feeling of peace and solitude washed over us as the sense of time slowly faded, leaving us with the perception that we were the last two people left on planet earth.

A Beautiful Ocean View - Vancouver Island, BC, Canada

A Beautiful Ocean View – Vancouver Island, BC, Canada –

The private hot tub on the deck of each cabin provides a wonderful break from the everyday.  Hours drift by as we sat in the tub watching the ships and boats make their way to and fro.  Some folks are fishing, while others pilot huge container transports full of goods.  It’s much like a painting that is constantly changing, revealing scenes and glimpses that are only here for a moment, only to be changed once again as the light and features change.

As we head right into the new year, we are very excited about what 2015 has in store for us all.  We’ve enjoyed a delightful break during the holidays, and just like a visit to the resort that comes to an end our daily activities come back into clear focus now.  A strong sense of being recharged, a revitalization if you will, motivates us to embrace the new year and all the exciting adventures it has in store for us.

Thank you one and all for all your support, friendship and encouragement over the years.  As always, we love to hear from all our visitors so please do feel free to leave us any comments you may have below, we’d really love that.  And cheers to 2015!!

1. avatar Don Barton says:

You have ignited a desire to share this experience with my dear wife. Although I was born in Victoria, I know very little about the coast west of that city. I was unaware that there is a road leading to Fossil Bay and beyond to Port Renfrew. You have inspired me to add another destination to our bucket list.

And thanks for the terrific photos of the area looking across the Strait of Jaun de Fuca that so perfectly depict the unique coastal views of this part of God’s creation. I suspect this often foggy/cloudy location holds many more opportunities for spectacular marine photography.

Thanks for sharing this.

• Most excellent, Don! You seriously won’t regret making the journey, indeed, there are so many photo opps out that way it’s incredible! 🙂 You would love it. Many thanks for your kind visit and your comments here, we really appreciate it!

2. avatar Edith levy says:

WOW…no wonder you like to go to this resort…what views and you’ve captured them so perfectly Toad. Wishing you and Mrs. Toad a very Happy, Healthy and Prosperous New Year.

3. I can feel the love between the Toads just jump off the screen. You are both inspiring. So, thank you.

It must be a wonderful feeling being in and about all that beauty. Just the atmosphere will change your perspective on life. That is why I venture out into the wild of the Pacific Northwest in search of my solitude through photo.

All of your images are wonderful. So full of light and peace.

This year I spent some time thinking about my own photographic endeavors. What I came up with are two things. First, I plan to be more intentional about my captures. Less random, on the spur of the moment, shots and more planned out shots. Next, to really push hard to raise the level of my work. I will seek out a few well known photographers on YouTube who publish cool stuff and hopefully learn from all of them.

Goals are good. Keep relaxing, enjoying each other, and capturing such beautiful spots on planet earth.

• What terrific comments, Spencer, thank you so much for taking the time to leave these! We really love your work too and look forward to seeing your productions. Best wishes to you and your family from Mrs. Toad and I Spencer! Maybe in 2015 we might have an opportunity to meet in person, we’d really enjoy that!

What a great getaway to paradise, Toad! This is a very lovely setting, a place that naturally demands repeat visits. Love the photos, my friend.

Happy New Year to your and Mrs. Toad!

A very Happy New Year to you and Mrs Toad. What a beautiful place this is to return to. There is something very comforting about revisiting places that hold special memories.

• I completely agree with you Andy, thank you! A very very Happy New Year to you and your family there too, my good friend, best wishes for everything that 2015 has in store for you!

Looks like you and Mrs Toad picked a great place to get away and relax. Looks quite beautiful and serene.

7. Stunning shots! Looks like a great place, Happy New Year to you and Mrs. Toad

8. Lovely travelog once again!! Happy New Years, Toads!

9. avatar Brad Truxell says:

Awesome landscapes here, Toad. I wish that I had something like this to photograph near me! Keep up the great work!

• Hey, thanks for the visit and comments here Brad, we sure do appreciate it!! I love your work too, love seeing what you produce. Thanks for popping on by The Hollow today my friend, hope to see you again!

Congrats again on 12 years! This looks so romantic and that sunset is amazing!