Shut The Barn Door!

Posted: 3rd June 2013 by ToadHollowPhoto in Photography
Tags: , , , , , ,

Spring has finally sprung here on Vancouver Island, and as such you will find Mrs. Toad and I scurrying up and down the island capturing some iconic moments to share with everyone.  With a bright, vivid blue sky above us and some of the finest landscapes under our feet, we found ourselves on the back-roads of the island over the weekend.  One of my favorite photography subjects has to be barns; one day we hope to capture a lot of them and put them together in a book.  You just can’t find the same character that you can in a good old-fashioned barn anywhere else.

Barn - Cowichan Valley, BC, Canada

Barn – Cowichan Valley, BC, Canada

This most certainly doesn’t belong in our Limited Edition Prints catalog, by any means, but it still is a great shot showcasing the inherent personality of this island we love so much.  This is a handheld shot, taken at the side of the road on our way home after being out on an adventure.  I just love the terrific shape of the barn, and how you look past it to see the rolling mountains of the island, carrying on forever.

The area of the island between Ladysmith and Nanaimo is peppered with these kinds of old farms.  Huge tracts of land still actively farmed are visible from almost everywhere as you make your way up the island.  It’s this terrific convergence of ocean, forest, mountains and gorgeous farms that work together to create the true spirit of the island.  It is all so meaningful to those of us who call it home.

After having the opportunity to spend a morning up in an old clock tower shooting all the terrific details there, the chance to get out and enjoy the weather and scenery of the island over the weekend was something I will not soon forget.  Life is good my friends; I can think of no better way to spend an afternoon than taking in the gorgeous scenery of this place, flipper-in-flipper with my lovely Mrs. Toad.  In turn, we really enjoy sharing these adventures here with all of you.

Stay tuned, my friends, this year is already off to a terrific start with many new projects upcoming in the summer months while the weather is warm and bright.  Thank you all so much for taking the time to visit us here today, we really do appreciate it.  If you have any comments to share at all, we encourage you to do so as we all love to hear from all our visitors!!

No two are alike and all carry their own character and stories! Barns rule! Glad to hear you Toads were able to enjoy the landscape and share it with us!

Thanks so much, Jim! I really love some of the barn shots you’ve gotten in your area, as well, so it seems we are kindred spirits with these subjects! We sure do appreciate you popping by and leaving us your comments here today, my friend, thank you!

2. The barn is nice but the best part of this shot for me is the fantastic detail of the clouds as they follow the line of the top of the mountains. A lot of people will be very envious of such a beautiful sky.

Thanks so much, Mark, that really really means a lot to us here! Much appreciated, kind sir!

3. Lovely countryside indeed

4. avatar Averil says:

Great capture! I love old barns and of course the seaside! Great name for the picture too! Who says you are awful at names?

🙂 It’s something I sometimes struggle with, but sometimes they just pop out, like this one! Thanks ever so kindly, Averil, we just can’t thank you enough!

I love old barns. They have so much character and this one sits in the most perfect setting. Beautiful Toad.

We just can’t thank you enough for all your kindness and encouragement here, Edith, you’re the best!

The silhouetted barn against those mountains and that sky are great Toad. Have a feeling you will be back shooting that scene.

I suspect you might be right, good sir! 🙂 Thanks, Len, your visit and comments here today really mean an awful lot to us!

7. Great image Toad, love that blue sky and the mountains!

As someone else has already said, that line of clouds above the distant horizon is the star of the show. I’m eager to see more of your island through this year, Toad

That just means so much to us, Andy, thank you so much both for taking the time to visit and for leaving these wonderful comments!! 🙂

Old barn and a great sky – what an irresistible duo!

Way too good a thing for me to pass up, that’s for sure! Thank you, my friend!

What is it about old barns that appeals to photographers? I love old barns in rural areas! They have so much character and if the wood could talk I’m sure it would tell a million stories! I can’t wait to see more of the project!

There is no way possible I could agree with you more than I do, Rick!! Completely! I’ve seen some of your barn shots over time and love them, too, very much indeed. Thank you, we really appreciate your kind visit and support here this afternoon my friend!