Have I Been Forgotten?

Posted: 23rd April 2013 by ToadHollowPhoto in Photography
Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

One of the very best parts about being involved in photography is encountering a scene that leaves the visitor with many unanswered questions.  Trying to place context on such scenes adds interest and intrigue for the viewer, commonly referred to as “artistic tension” by those who subscribe to Gestalt.  Today’s post finds us taking a look at a tableau that Mrs. Toad and I came across on a recent adventure just outside of a tiny town called Saltair here on Vancouver Island, BC.  As we came around a corner on the back-roads that ribbon their way up and down the coast of the island, we came across a great old weathered and rusty boat anchored in the bay.

Rusty Boat - Saltair, BC, Canada

Rusty Boat – Saltair, BC, Canada

The life of a fisherman here on Vancouver Island is not for those who are faint of heart.  Frequent stories of boats lost to sea by sudden and fierce storms, particularly up near the northern tip of the island, tell harrowing tales of high waters and ferocious winds that tests the experience of those who’ve done this for all their lives.  Some of those tests are lost, further adding to the sense of danger for those pursuing a life on the ocean.

Further to all this, the current state of our fisheries finds fish stocks depleting at an alarming rate, with some species being right on the precipice of extinction.  This translates directly onto those who fish for a living, making it nearly impossible to earn a proper and decent subsistence.  Today, more and more ships are being left abandoned as those who used them everyday have had to leave them behind and head to shore for work.  Is this boat here abandoned?  Probably not.  It’s weathered state gives us all an immediate impression, but it’s important to know that these ships are used as work-horses, and their general appearance is of little interest to those who captain them.

But, this leaves no less a mark on those who encounter these types of scenes, like us.  The inherent romance of life on and by the ocean is almost palpable, drawing many towards it like a moth to a flame.  As we were standing on the shore taking in the entire experience before us, the crunching sound of shells beneath our feet intermingled with the distinctive smell from the ocean to really remind us of our deep love for the island.

And if that comes with a mysterious sense of intrigue and wonder, then all the better.

Our new Topaz Labs Detail 3 plugin made really enjoyable work of post-processing this image.  The fine control we have over both enhancing the intricate details that make a scene like this come to life as well as the areas of contrast and shadow give us the ability to create imagery that expresses the character of the island as well as the personal vision we are trying to share.  This tool makes an excellent addition to the artists repertoire for the very reasonable price of $39.99, we highly recommend it here at The Hollow.

Many thanks for your kind visit today, we really appreciate it!  As always, we love to hear from all our visitors, so please do feel free to leave us any comments you may have!  Until next time, my friends!

1. Great post Toad old Chap. You can almost smell the sea air from here

Thanks so much Chris, we sure do appreciate that, my friend! Many thanks for taking the time to pop by and see us here today.

2. What a great story of the life of fisherman. Yes those guys are hard worker and work in harrowing conditions and take a massive risk each time the boat and crew head out. I appreciate that you captured the sense of these workers in your story and image. I am always waiting to see what the Toads capture and write about next. The one particular thing I like about your photograph is how you processed it on the cool side. Very nice focus and work.

You tell an all too familiar tale, Toad. Sadly we have plundered our oceans thoughtlessly. Man is a selfish and narrow-minded species. We pursue our own path with scant regard for the damage we are doing to the environment and the future of our planet and its inhabitants.

How utterly profound, Andy, thank you so much for taking the time to come visit us here today and for these really great comments my friend!

Wonderful post Toad and lovely image. I do love Topaz Detail. It does a fabulous job.

5. avatar Erin Duke says:

I often find myself drawn to things like this; possibly forgotten or abandoned, or perhaps there’s an even deeper story. After all, aren’t we really just story-tellers? Love this, and will be looking into Topaz Detail!

What fantastic comments here, Erin, thank you so very much for leaving those for us! We sure do appreciate your visit here today, my dear friend!

That’s a hard life being a fisherman. I think it’s much like everything else and those with money and large resources have taken over. It’s sad but true and not always for the better. I’ll have to try the Topaz suite. I just haven’t had a chance to sit down and use it yet. Wonderful story as always, Toad.

Thanks so very much Rick, your ongoing support and friendship means so much to us here!

7. What a great post, enjoyed it! Cheers Toads! always a pleasure

I’ve said it before, and will again, you’re a true scholar and a gentleman Mike, thank you so much for your kind visit!

I’ve been a sport fisherman for many years and can attest to the fact that our fisheries have taken a serious hit over the years. Commercial fishing is the chief offending practice, in my humble opinion.

I certainly understand that people have to make a living but it seems that many of the major waterways regularly have gill nets stretched across them, disrupting the natural migration of fish and contributing to the over-fishing of the industry. I simply fear that someday we may reach a tipping point of no return.

So glad you captured and presented this image, Toad. It reminds me of similar scenes in my neck of the waterways. Nice post, as always!

I love the Topaz stable of products and use them frequently. Quite the bargain for these outstanding tools.

What fabulous, fabulous comments here Jimi, I can’t tell you how much we appreciate you taking the time to leave these insightful thoughts for everyone to enjoy! Thank you, kind sir!

9. avatar Lisa Gordon says:

A truly beautiful photograph, and the new site looks wonderful!

10. quite a lovely spot well captured

There is an ad about ‘just keep on giving’, and it could be the motto for Toad Hollow Photography. So many aspects of Vancouver Island life and history come up in your posts that you really bring this place to life.

We are totally humbled by your kind words here today, my good friend, thank you so much!! That really means a lot more than we can properly say.

12. avatar Tony Campbell says:

Such a wonderful story you weave through your photos. I really enjoy the sense of actual presence through your art.
    I am a 37 year paraplegic and I have done a lot of traveling across the US finding accessible spots for my photography. I live in Florida and have been to a little more than half the states. In my travels to not only national and state parks, but also as a scuba diver in many beautiful places including my favorite Abergris Caye, one of the most beautiful reefs in the world (second only to Australia’s great barrier). It is off the Yucatan peninsula and part of Belize.
    I have been yearning to produce a book of my photos to share with everyone (especially those with handicaps, to show them potential in life).
    I have a question for you about your photos for sale. Do you sell many and do you use other means of marketing? (You can private email me to answer if you prefer). Keep spreading your wonderful stories with your photos. You are an inspiration to many more than you think.
    Thank you for sharing your time and talents!

• Tony, how wonderful to see you pop by The Hollow and leave us your incredible comments today, thank you! Boy, oh boy, I’d love to see some of your photographs, it sure does sound like you get to some of the most amazing places! I find your story to be inspiring to me, I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to pop by and visit! I will be dropping you a note via email to answer your questions about marketing and we can open a discussion if you like, I always LOVE to talk shop!! 🙂