We’re heading back to a time when bubble gum, sock hops, Elvis Presley, The Twilight Zone and Leave It To Beaver were all leaving their indelible marks on society, marks that remain even today.  In 1953 the first Chevrolet Corvette rolled off the assembly lines, and popular automotive culture was never to be the same again.  This first generation Corvette, dubbed the C1 Corvette by enthusiasts, was produced until 1962, at which point a new chapter was created for the iconic brand.

Today we head back to visit the terrific “Vette to Victoria” weekend we joined and photographed in the spring of 2012 with the Victoria Corvette Club.  This post features a stunning 1960 red Corvette roadster that was exhibited on this weekend, one that drew a crowd all day as it sat gleaming in the spring sun on a beautiful Victoria day.

Show 'n Shine - Vette to Victoria - Victoria, BC, Canada

Show ‘n Shine – Vette to Victoria – Victoria, BC, Canada

Even though I am a product of the late 60’s and 70’s, the very things I am highly passionate about all originated from the time of liberation that was encountered in the 50’s.  Rock ‘n roll music was coming on the landscape, and all the parents were worried about the moral compass of society and the direction it would head in with all that.  James Dean was a bad-boy of the times, cruising around in his leather jacket with his hair all greased back and a pack of cigarettes tucked in his t-shirt.  All the girls wanted to be with him and all the boys wanted to be like him.

Hot rods also came on the scene.  The movie “American Graffiti” was a well-known film that depicted the challenges of life as a youth in these times, and was a wildly popular view into a time now long past.  Back then, it was quite normal to see the streets of Detroit turn into makeshift race tracks at night, with the hot rods blasting up and down the road unfettered by fear, or even usually the local police.

So, when we came across this gorgeous 1960 first generation Corvette roadster at the Vette to Victoria event, we were enamored.  Not just by the incredible beauty of the car, and it’s apparent perfect condition, but also what the car meant in relation to the times it came from.  And how that still affects life today.

Show 'n Shine - Vette to Victoria - Victoria, BC, Canada

Show ‘n Shine – Vette to Victoria – Victoria, BC, Canada

As the day progressed, we made it back to see this car a few times.  In this shot, the shadows are much shorter as it’s mid-day now, and the show is in full swing.  Once again, this gem finds itself the center of attention from amazed attendees who come by to be amazed at something they’ve probably never seen before, or to relive a moment from their own youth.

And really, that’s what this entire thing is all about.  When I turned 40 a bit ago now, Mrs. Toad turned to me and told me to go find that Corvette I always wanted.  Three months of searching for a very specific car finally turned up the one we have today and love with all our hearts.  For us, the ability to hop in it and explore this island we love so much is both freeing as we blast up and down our roadways with the roof down, but it’s also a way to hang onto the last vestiges of youth.

And how could anyone begrudge someone who wants to live life to its fullest, being free of spirit and full of life?  These mid-life crises, as they are often referred to, are more like mid-life opportunities to me.  After all, my good friends, we’re only as old as we feel.

Thank you so much for your visit to our humble blog today!  As always, we really do love to hear from all our visitors, so please feel free to leave us any comments you may have.  Until next time!

Now that is one cool car. Beautiful Toad.

2. That is one sweet ride, Toad!! I must admit to really liking this first incarnation of the Corvette. I;ll have to dig up my collection of shots of these beauties and post them for all to see.

Ooo, I would love to see those, Mark! Thank you so much for popping on by, and for leaving these awesome comments today!

3. Toad I turn 40 in a few months, could you PLEASE have Mrs Toad talk to my wife and explain to her why I absolutely need to have a Vette for my B-day??…

A wonderful shot and I’m guessing it took you quite some time to only get a few people in the shot, I know from experience that the classic ‘vette’s always draw the crowds.

She screams power, yet cruising slowly down the local “drag” while you give the slow nod to those who notice (and who wouldn’t?) suits her just as well as smashing bugs against the windshield at 100mph.

Great write up my friend, have a great weekend.

Howard

😀 Fabulous comments, Howard, no doubt about it! If anyone can convince someone of the need to have a ‘Vette in the ol’ garage, it’s Mrs. Toad. Send your wife’s cell number to me and I’ll see what I can do for ya Howard! Fabulous comments today, good sir, we really enjoyed them!

Man what a classic!
    This Roadster is simply awesome. Great job with the photos, Toad.

That’s a beautiful Vette! I really like the dual round headlights. I think Chevy should make a retro vette with the round headlights.

I totally, totally, totally agree Rick! Did I mention I totally agree??!? Great notion! I’m with you on those styling cues, I just love ’em. Thanks so much for your kind visit today, good sir!

That is a killer car Toad. I love your entusiasm for these cars and look forward to these posts.

You sir, are a true scholar and a gentleman! Thanks so much, Len, that really means an awful lot to us!

7. avatar Erin Duke says:

I can’t even begin to tell you how much I love this, Toad! As I’ve mentioned in the past, ‘Vettes are my favorite, particularly the first few decades of their existence. Wonderful photos, great post!

Thank you, my dear friend, we really appreciate your kind support and encouragement! I’ll put in a good word for you with Santa, let’s see if he can’t drop one of these down the chimney and under your tree this year!! 😀

Those decades were wonderful years in which to grow up. I’ve never seen an original C1 ‘Vette before. But it just shouts early 60s. Evocative writing as always that stirs the memory. How much would a C1 ‘Vette in good condition cost these days I wonder?

Up in this neck of the woods you’re probably looking at $50,000 to $60,000 for one in great shape and I’ve seen them go for close to $200,000 for very special models that are considered desirable and/or rare. But, they are an investment, in my humble opinion, sure to increase in value as the years go by. And what a way to pass the years, Andy, with the top down, the rumble of the V8 underneath you as the miles tick by! 🙂 Thank you so much for your kind visit today, my friend!