One of the highlights of wandering around a car show is the ability to see cars that many people know of but few have actually seen.  Whether they are highly modified creations culminating in personal visions and statements of the owners, or they are highly rare and exotic cars like the Ford GT, these chances are fleeting and form great memories to draw upon later.

Join us today as we head back to the Queen Alexandra Hospital where Mrs. Toad and I attended The Motorcar Gathering 2012.  This post is a continuation of our running photoblog series “The Toads At The Gathering“.

Ford GT - Queen Alexandra Hospital, Victoria, BC, Canada

Ford GT – Queen Alexandra Hospital, Victoria, BC, Canada

Shooting at car shows is challenging, to say the very least.  Quarters are cramped, there’s not much room to move around and compose your shots, and people are constantly walking in front of you as you go about your work.  Hey, it’s a car show, what do we expect?  The day we attended this particular show, it was busy at the event.  As soon as we arrived, I put on my 50mm prime, determined to work with this lens the entire day, taking the good with the bad.  I knew I was going to be doing a lot of detail work, and this lens is perfect for this.

Even with this all being the case, this car stood out as a rock star at the show.  This is the fabled Ford GT.  Only produced in very limited numbers in 2005 and 2006, this car today fetches $200,000 to $400,000 on the market, depending on its story and condition.

I must say, I just love the way the American manufacturers have been paying homage to their roots the last 10 years or so.  We’ve got new incarnations of Dodge Challenger’s, Ford Mustang’s, Chevrolet Camaro’s and many others.  This car is a true tribute to the Ford GT40’s of the 1960’s that were well-known for their brisk work on the tracks.  I have to say that Ford has done a terrific job with this one, maintaining all the links to its history and original styling in this modern rendition.

Ford GT - Queen Alexandra Hospital, Victoria, BC, Canada

Ford GT – Queen Alexandra Hospital, Victoria, BC, Canada

This car sits low and wide, like a champion sitting in a stall just waiting to be unleashed on an unsuspecting foe.  Even the undercarriage is designed to be aerodynamic, if you look closely you can see the vanes that comprise the carefully designed underbelly with the intent on keeping the car firmly planted on terra firma.  Even at speeds reaching the insane.

Even though they only made the car for two years, it remains a real moniker for auto enthusiasts, almost living in the realm of make-believe and fairy-tales.  Only this fairy-tale will throw you back in your seat as you elicit howls of pure joy enshrouded in a plume of the thickest tire smoke seen this side of the Rockies.

It just doesn’t get any better than this.

Thanks so much for taking the time to pop by and see us here, we really appreciate it.  As always, we love to hear from all our visitors and we encourage you to leave us any comments or thoughts you might have.  If you’d like to see one of the original car reviews of this car from just before it hit the production line, this article at Car & Driver is terrific.

1. What a stunner, nice work

2. that’s what I’m talking about right there!!

Awesome work here Toad.

4. avatar Ken Rowland says:

Sharp looking car. Good story. Thanks for sharing.

What an awesome car Toad. I think you must live at car shows. There is a new car show in the States called Counting Cars. I think you would love it.

Car shows are something that’s much bigger than me, to be honest. I just love them. You get to see really great cars and meet such cool people… and of course the whole bit about coming away with a ton of great shots is fun, too! Thanks so much Len, your ongoing support and encouragement here means so much to us!

• avatar Len Saltiel says:

Actually it is a show on television. You might find it on the internet if it is not on Canadian TV.

Oh geez, sorry Len, you said that! LOL I got so excited thinking about the upcoming show season my little mind went immediately there. I’m going to look this show up and see if I can’t check it out. I’ve really enjoyed the episodes of Top Gear I’ve seen over the years, and there are a few great muscle car shows on Speed Channel here, but I don’t get much time to watch TV these days. This one sounds great, I’ll DEFINITELY look it up! Thanks Len!

I would love to test drive one of those! You did a nice job with the images from the show. It is tough to get a decent shot in tight crowded environments.

You and I both, Rick, no doubt about it! I really love this car, it’s a real draw for me that’s for sure. Thanks for your great comments and encouragement, my friend!

Man, I so love this car. I’ve wanted one every since I first saw the actual race car as a kid. It made me sad to see Jeremy Clarckson of TopGear had so many issues with his. Still, can I take this to the track?

The short answer is yes, get on up here and LET’S GO! 🙂 I have a real soft spot for this car, too. I love how Ford managed to maintain that strong link to it’s history here and have designed and created something truly special. Thanks for you kind visit!

8. avatar Perry Bailey says:

The Ford GT is a truly beautiful automobile, and you’ve captured it perfectly, Toad. Oh, to dream….

This post sure has create a lot of visceral reactions, that’s for sure! It’s one hot car that seems to evoke all sorts of emotions in people. I just love it!! Thanks so much for your kind visit today, Perry, that just means so much to us!

9. My dream car! sweet presentation Toad!

Thank you so very much Mike! We really appreciate your visit and comments here today!

10. avatar ken bello says:

Great photos of a personal favorite subject. i have seen one of these up close but I never got behind the wheel. But I have no doubt that it’s a thrilling ride.

Thanks Ken! It would have to be, wouldn’t it, considering the power and the engineering that goes into it. Let’s go halfsies on one, Ken! LOL 🙂 Thanks for you terrific visit today and your comments that I am sure everyone will enjoy!