As spring approaches, the trees are showing signs of budding, certain flowers are starting to peek out from under the cloak of winter’s cover and a young man’s thoughts turn to sports cars.  My love and devotion to my beautiful wife and best friend, Mrs. Toad, is well-known.  But those who know me also know of my passion for fast cars.  And if they happen to be bright red sports cars of the convertible variety, then that’s even better.  There is no better feeling than blasting down the back-roads and highways of this beautiful island we live on with my girl at my side and the roof down as the winds flow around us.  It’s a feeling of joy, a feeling of being alive, and a feeling of being connected with the surroundings that we are part of as we pass through.

Join us today as we continue our photoblog series “The Toads At The Gathering” featuring a collection of photographs we captured at The Motorcar Gathering 2012 held last summer at the Queen Alexandra Hospital.

Classic Triumph Roadster - Queen Alexandra Hospital, Victoria, BC, Canada

Classic Triumph Roadster – Queen Alexandra Hospital, Victoria, BC, Canada

I’ve had over 140 cars in my life.  Yep, you read that right.  Some of them only lasted a few feet, others have been real classics that I’ve owned for years.  My love for muscle cars and sports cars is in my DNA.

When I was a young man, my beloved grandmother passed away and left me a small sum of money.  Being young and impetuous, there’s only one thing that those funds could have been used for… that’s right, to buy a car.  I’d always wanted a convertible, so I started the hunt.  I found a great 1978 Triumph Spitfire in Victoria that was in great shape, and thus began my love with roadsters.

As Mrs. Toad and I were making our rounds through the show, we were delighted to see the vast variety of cars on display, both old and new.  This great Triumph TR3 roadster was a real show-stopper, a car you just don’t often see.  Meticulously restored and maintained, it was all I could do from keeping myself from hopping in it and tearing away.

Modified Corvette Convertible - Queen Alexandra Hospital, Victoria, BC, Canada

Modified Corvette Convertible – Queen Alexandra Hospital, Victoria, BC, Canada

Our favorite car is the Corvette convertible.  Our own one, lovingly named “Beastie“, is a car that we spent months searching for and today is a member of our family.  Ours is stock and will remain so, one day even finding itself being completely rebuilt and refurbished from the ground-up.  Other Corvette enthusiasts use these cars as platforms to build absolutely crazy race cars out of, and as such are highly modified.  This particular car is a terrific example.  I am not sure of the specifics behind the mechanics of this car, but years of being a hot rod enthusiast have trained my eyes to take in certain details here that are clues to the underpinnings.  This Stingray is not a car to be trifled with, that’s for sure.  It looks fast and aggressive parked; can you imagine how cool it must look blasting around the track at triple digit speeds?

Classic Corvette Convertible - Queen Alexandra Hospital, Victoria, BC, Canada

Classic Corvette Convertible – Queen Alexandra Hospital, Victoria, BC, Canada

And at the other spectrum is this exquisite, stock and in near perfect condition C3 convertible Corvette.  Now, that’s what I call a bright red sports car!!  Flowing lines, graceful and full of class as it sits on the lawn here, just waiting to be fired to life and taken for a spin.

Toy Pedal Car - Queen Alexandra Hospital, Victoria, BC, Canada

Toy Pedal Car – Queen Alexandra Hospital, Victoria, BC, Canada

As I said, the show was absolutely terrific, packed to the rafters so to speak.  There was something there for the roadster fan of all ages, including this awesomely detailed pedal car.  During my youth, I am sure that there were times the local police had sincerely wished I had picked a car like this for my cruising needs, rather than a 500+ hp big block monster of a machine.  I can honestly tell you, I thought this was terrific and if I had one as a kid I’m not sure I would have grown up willingly.  Or at all.

Actually, the jury is still out on that.

Do you have any stories or memories of a favorite car or time in one?  We really love to hear from all our visitors, so don’t be shy, step up to the microphone and tell us your story!!  Until next time, my friends!

1. avatar Perry Bailey says:

The first car I remember was my families 1969 Olds Cutlass. It was blue with a front bench seat larger than most modern sofas. Family lore holds that I was very nearly born in the back seat. It was cavernous, and in the days before child seats I spent many miles curled up and snoozing on family trips.

Awesome comments, Perry, thank you! I used to own a Buick Skylark (late 60’s) that was something like 18′ long and 8′ wide or something like that. I never owned a tent, and whenever I went camping with my friends I setup house in the back of that car. I am 6’3″ tall. It was huge and I felt like I had a mansion to live in!!!!! It was awesome… the good ol’ days, my friend. LOL Thank you so much for popping on by, and for these wonderful comments!

Fantastic images Toad. I think my husband would trade me in for that Triumph Roadster 🙂

No, he most certainly would not Edith!! Although, I admit he has good taste in both his wife and cars. 🙂 Thank you so much for swinging on by to see us here today, we sure do appreciate it!

3. Love the TR3, Toad – now there is a real classic and one not seen very often, especially this side of the pond! Seems a lot of Austin Healeys made it over but not too many Triumphs.

Totally agreed Mark, and it seems we’re seeing less and less of them as time moves on! Thank you so much for your visit today, my friend, we really appreciate it!

sweet shots Toad, I bet you were pretty fired up being there!!

🙂 That, good sir, is an understatement!! It was a real great show, and we’ve got quite a few more shots coming from it over the course of the year! Thanks for coming on by and seeing us here, and for your great comments!

5. I’m drooling, Sir Toad! Great captures and absolutely love the TR3. Definitely a. great find and perfect capture with people eyeing it with wonder. And love your top to bottom coverage including the pedal car. Keep up the great wor my friend!

That TR3 seems to be the hands-down highlight in this grouping, eh? It’s a LOVELY motorcar! Thanks for your kind visit, my friend, we really appreciate it very much!

Well that explains your passion for cars. I can’t imagine owning 140 cars Toad. You are a car manufacturers dream customer. Great images of these classics.

😀 Thanks, Len!! I can’t tell you how much I appreciate your visit today and your great comments!!

7. That TR3 roadster is absolutely beautiful. Think the owner would let you trade this photograph for a quick ride in it?

NEW MISSION!! Thanks for the idea, Steven! I’m going to try and figure that out, if possible, what a great idea. That thing is just drop-dead gorgeous, isn’t it? Thanks a ton for your kind visit, my friend!

Yep – that TR3 is spectacular. I once owned a Porsche, the sad news is that it was only a lowly 924 and a neighbour once told me that it was only a VW in disguise! I still think of trading in my Jag for a 911 or a Cayman.

Andy, these new generation Porsches are real machines. Life is a fleeting proposition, I suggest you head on down right now to your local car haberdashery and set yerself up with your dream ride! Can’t recommend it enough. 🙂 Thanks so much for your kind visit, Andy, we know how busy you are and that means an awful lot to us!

9. Once again, Mr Toad, beautiful photography of incredible cars, but I must say (sorry Corvy) that awesome little Triumph is too cool for words (It takes a photograph like the above one to bring out its soul and beauty).

Hard to argue with your points, my friend; as a matter of fact, I can’t! I love that Triumph, too, Joseph… it’s a real honest-to-God classic… thank you so much for popping by today!

10. avatar Dennis /Sebastian Wong says:

That’s me Dennis and my son Sebastian admiring this TR3 belonging to Dick. I did own a ’57 red TR3 in ’69. Brings back memories. I recall going to meet my then girlfriend at a noon Sock Hop at Oak Bay High and when the school bell rang I drove madly down Viking to avoid being late as I had 8 minutes before my school bell would ring. Focusing my eyes and gritting my teeth as I went through the intersections. This TR3 had great handling and power. Another occasion was when I was going to Long Beach on the old gravel roads and my girl friend had to stick her hand over the windshield and move the wipers faster to wipe off the rain. Excellent rally car as it just fitted into the old wining one- way lane beside Government House. One inconvenience for me in a TR3 was when I was in my youth involved weekend night parking beside Beacon Hill Park on Dallas Road with a date “looking for Submarines” ….Heh…Heh… Memories….You cronies around my age would relate……Now my son wants this TR3…Toad, how can I get a copy of this photo ? We will see you all again at Queen Alexandria Hospital this year. Enjoy

What a terrific story Dennis, thank you so very much for taking the time to visit and for leaving these awesome comments that I am sure everyone will enjoy! I’ve sent you an email in regards to your inquiry about getting a print, please let me know if you didn’t get that and I will be happy to assist. Many thanks once again for popping by, it was a real highlight of our day to see your story here!