Frozen Patties

Posted: 21st January 2013 by ToadHollowPhoto in Photography
Tags: , , , , ,

Now, before we jump into today’s post with both flippers, let me prepare this by saying we’re not sure that any of the cows in today’s photo are actually named Patty at all.  Being married to one of the sharpest minds in the drawer lends itself to times of great hilarity.  Such was an afternoon where recently I showed Mrs. Toad some photographs of the frosty landscape I had made during the day, which immediately resulted in a barrage of one-liners and puns of the ripest sorts.  “Frosted milkshakes”, “cold milk”, “chocolate ice-cream standing in a field”, “frozen beef patties”, “chilled dairy” and the list goes on and on.  And on.  After the tears had stopped rolling down my face and I once again caught my breath, I was ready to move on.

Frost Covered Farm - Cowichan Valley, BC, Canada

Frost Covered Farm – Cowichan Valley, BC, Canada

Mrs. Toad and I have been working very hard the last few weeks on a few personal initiatives.  Due to this we just haven’t had very much time to spend together, as we usually do, and I sure miss that.  She’s been working very long and hard hours lately at her new job, and many a weekend finds me without her at my side.

We really do have a tendency to try to make lemonade out of lemons, and when our alarm went off at a very nasty time on Sunday morning we were greeted by a winter morning’s scene so wonderful I had no choice but to get out there and make some pictures.  This photograph posted here today is one of the results of these adventures.

I’ve said it many times before here, the Cowichan Valley is a very special place.  We have all sorts of terrific natural features to enjoy; commanding mountains, huge rivers, lush green forests, farms of quintessential beauty and the ever-present ocean just blocks away from wherever you are.

The fog was so thick this particular morning, I should really have brought a butter knife with me to cut it.  This presented challenges and opportunities alike.  Some of the scenes I had in mind were so fog-locked, the main subject of interest was, well, invisible.  Less than exciting, to say the least.

In other cases, though, it added character and a mood to the scenes, one that could only be found on a foggy, crisp January morning on Vancouver Island.

As I was scouting, driving the back-roads of the valley, I drove past this scene.  After the tire smoke had cleared and I had pulled both feet off my brake pedal, I tried to quietly get out of the car and get setup to take this shot without spooking the cows.  There were some really fabulous elements presented here; a frost covered slope, a moss-covered rock, a line of barbed wire that runs across the front of the scene to give context, and of course that crazy fog that started this whole thing.

We’ve got several more posts coming this week showcasing shots taken this morning.  Some of them are rather striking, so please stay tuned this week as we roll some of these out!

And in the meantime, we’d sure to thank you for popping by to see us here today.  As always, we really do love to hear from all our visitors, so please feel free to leave us any comments or thoughts you may have.  Until next time, my friends!!…

1. I love this scene, the frost hanging off the trees, the fog shrouding the valley and the bovine beauties capping it all.
    great shot and processing

2. There is something special about haw frost and fog which makes any scene that extra bit magical. Well worth the early morning start, Toad!

Thanks, Mark, I just can’t tell you how much I appreciate both your visit and your kind comments here today!

hehe that’s just awesome Toad!

Sorry that you Toads are off schedule a bit, but you know what they say, “absence makes the heart grow fonder.” I’m sure that’s the case here! Love the scene – the fog sets it off! Shame one of the cows couldn’t have posed a bit better for you though. Hard to get good help! Looking forward to more!

😀 Hahahahaha!! NO kidding!! Actually, there is one particular member of the bovine family in this shot looking straight back at us, but it’s hardly obvious. I really did try to pose ’em all, but every time I ran back to the camera the entire scene had changed again. One might not be too bad, but a herd is a real handful!!

Thanks so, so much for your kind visit and wonderful comments here today, Jim. You are a true scholar and a gentleman and we are forever grateful for all your friendship and support.

5. when will spring arrive??! Even though our winter has been dang mild…. I’m done with it!

You and I both, my fine friend!! No kidding! You should have heard me groaning as I was getting ready to set out to capture these shots this particular morning. It’s not something you rush into, that’s for sure. How about we meet in Costa Rica, my friend??

6. avatar dragonflydreams88 says:

. . . lol your title!!! . . . frozen patties indeed!!! . . . and a great scene!!

Thank you so, so, so much for your visit and comments today! Your comments over on Flickr made me laugh something crazy, those were wonderful! I can’t tell you how much it means to us to have such a terrific friend in you, and how much we appreciate it every time you visit and leave us your comments!

7. Very nice! Genoa Bay Rd??

Mmm-hmmm! I KNEW you’d know where this was, Joseph! As a matter of fact, stay tuned my friend, I’ve got a set of shots coming later this week from a spot you and I both know very well. The ambiance from the fog set this one off just perfectly.

I have to be honest, Joseph, the entire morning I spent in the valley doing these shots I completely expected to turn around and find you right beside me. I just KNEW you’d find this post and I knew you would know where it came from. I love this internet thing, we’ve really found some terrific friends here!!

Thanks so so much for your visit and comments today!

8. avatar Edith levy says:

Beautiful scene Toad and for the record…I like “chilled diary” 🙂

That could almost be Scotland. Ethereal, bucolic and truly rural. I can tell from your writing that you rather enjoyed that morning, Scott.

I sure did, Andy, you know it my friend! Thanks so much for your wonderful visit and top drawer comments here today, I cannot thank you enough good sir!

10. avatar Perry Bailey says:

Beautiful scene Toad, very nicely captured. I like ice cream and BBQ as much as the next guy, but I kinda gotta feel sorry for those cows. Frosted grass on a cold morning ain’t much of a breakfast.

You know it’s funny, I’ve never thought of that before having never really eaten a lot of grass in my life, but now that you mention it… perhaps someone should get a moooooooooove-on and head over with some fresh hay for these cows! Thank you so much for your incredible comments, Perry, you sure have a way of bringing a smile to my face, my friend!

11. avatar Gracie says:

That landscape is incredible, the fog definitely adds more to the nippiness of the scene.
    Your title cracks me up. Your “frozen patties” would be great with “cold milk” too. LOL!

Thanks so much, Gracie, we really appreciate that! 🙂 We always love meeting new folks through our blog here as this is a real highlight for us! Many thanks for both your visit and for your truly terrific comments! We hope to see you here again!!

Love this scene with the fog drifting around in there, Toad. It has such a peaceful look. Wonderful work as always.

Hoping you and Mrs. Toad will be hopping back to a regular schedule soon. 🙂

You are so very kind, Jimi, thanks so much my friend! Both for your wonderful comments on our photo here, and for your kind wishes. You are a true class act, my friend.

13. avatar Rich McPeek says:

Terrific shot Toad! I love the fog and frosted ground! Great capture!

Fantastic image, Toad! I love the combination of frost and the green moss and the cows. Something about the combination of cold and warm colors!

15. I love this moody, scenic landscape. I can just feel the cold, as everything (including the cows) seems to be in a paralyzed, frigid state. You’ve really told a story Toad!

Hi Barbara!!! We’re SO happy to see you’ve popped by to visit us today, thank you so much! Thanks from the bottom of our hearts for your wonderful comments here, they mean so much to us. We really hope that all is well with you, my dear friend, both Mrs. Toad and I send you our very best wishes!!! 🙂