You could just tell it was going to be a big day.  An epic day, really, one filled with seeing cars that in some cases fall into the category of the “unicorn”…  fabled beasts never seen before in person.  As the cars continued to pour into the event and were getting readied for the show, it became evident early on this was going to be a smashing success.  And the day did not disappoint.

We’re going back to the big “Vette to Victoria” event hosted by the Victoria Corvette Club over the May Day long weekend in 2012.  The entire weekend was filled from top to bottom with great events and remains one of our highlights for the entire year.  Saturday’s Corvette car show was no exception, showcasing some of the most incredible Corvettes we have ever seen.

Show 'n Shine - Vette to Victoria - Victoria, BC, Canada

Show ‘n Shine – Vette to Victoria – Victoria, BC, Canada

There is no such thing as an undesirable Corvette when it comes to enthusiasts and their preferences, but some models are definitely rarer and more valuable than others.  The 1963 Corvette Stingray was the first, and only, year that featured the famous split-window rear.  1963 was also the first year of the coupe and the hideaway headlights that pretty much became an icon of the car over the years.

Show 'n Shine - Vette to Victoria - Victoria, BC, Canada

Show ‘n Shine – Vette to Victoria – Victoria, BC, Canada

Some of the current 1963’s can fetch upwards of $180,000, depending on engine codes, options and overall condition.  This Stingray was in perfect condition, winning an award in its category on the Concours for the Show ‘n Shine the day of the event.  The paint and chrome on this Corvette was most incredible, drawing visitors from far and wide to come and appreciate the rarity and meaning behind having a chance to see such a car in person.

Show 'n Shine - Vette to Victoria - Victoria, BC, Canada

Show ‘n Shine – Vette to Victoria – Victoria, BC, Canada

As everyone continued to get ready for the big show, some of the cars that were not officially registered to be in the show began to form a line.  Each car from each generation has its own story to share, and the proud owners were all too happy to talk about them.  I think that’s one of the most amazing parts about attending a show of this scale, you get a chance to meet so many friendly folks who share the same passion.  It makes for easy conversations, that’s for sure!

Show 'n Shine - Vette to Victoria - Victoria, BC, Canada

Show ‘n Shine – Vette to Victoria – Victoria, BC, Canada

The care and attention to detail that goes into presenting a car at a show like this is incredible.  For months leading up to the big event the owners are prepping and making any last-minute changes or modifications, and this all winds up being a bit of a tornado on the actual day of the show as all the final details are fretted over.

Show 'n Shine - Vette to Victoria - Victoria, BC, Canada

Show ‘n Shine – Vette to Victoria – Victoria, BC, Canada

Even under the hood, the finish and detailing is so fine in some cases you just can’t tell that these cars are used.  And used they are!  These are all owned by avid enthusiasts who in many cases drive them quite regularly.  No detail is too small, no point too fine, when it comes to preparing for a weekend event like this.

Show 'n Shine - Vette to Victoria - Victoria, BC, Canada

Show ‘n Shine – Vette to Victoria – Victoria, BC, Canada

Around every corner we could find something truly special.  This bright yellow C3 built in 1973 was a real highlight of the day.  An original 4-speed car, it featured a big block 454 under the hood.  That’s an awful lot of power and torque under the hood of this gem to propel the fiberglass beauty quite handily down the track, as was shown later in the weekend during the slalom events.  Even though the newer models might have more technology and engineering under their belts, at the time this car was designed and built there was really no replacement for displacement.

Show 'n Shine - Vette to Victoria - Victoria, BC, Canada

Show ‘n Shine – Vette to Victoria – Victoria, BC, Canada

Even from the back, the incredible character that the Corvette embodies really comes to life.  Light and shadows were playing with each other just perfectly this morning creating vignettes and scenes that were far too good to pass up, photographically speaking.  This particular car was a true treasure for us both in the rarity and condition of the model, but also in meeting it’s owner who turned out to be one of the very nicest people we met the entire weekend.

There’s really nothing better than heading home after an action-packed weekend filled with events like this feeling that you’ve seen incredible things and made a bunch of new friends.  It was really much more than a car-show, it was an event we will remember quite fondly for the rest of our lives.

Thanks so kindly for taking the time to pop by our post today and share this adventure with us.  As always, we encourage everyone to leave us any comments that you may have as we really do love to hear from all our visitors.

I love the 63 Stingray. Yup I can see myself driving around in that. Awesome shots Toad.

I can see you in that beauty, too, Edith! 🙂 Thanks so much for popping by to see us today, we sure do appreciate it!

2. avatar chris maskell says:

Cool set from this show Scott. I look at corvette in a new light now

3. My granny had a ’71 Stingray… white with lots of chrome and red leather interior. Even though I was a little kid at the time I remember that car!

Your granny was darned cool, Derrick, that’s quite the car she had! That must have been really neat for you to grow up with that in the family. How wonderful! Thanks for popping by today and for leaving us your great comments!

Another great set from this event. You must have filled up a few big cards with brackets this day.

Thanks, Ehpem! I actually had thought ahead on this weekend and carted my laptop computer around with me wherever we went. I dumped the memory card onto the laptop every few hours. I think I spent like 2 weeks straight post-processing and indexing everything from there, that was a big job. The results were well worth it, though! Thanks so much for popping around to see us, and for leaving your thoughts, my friend!

5. avatar Stacy Butera says:

SWEET! I could see myself driving the blue corvette!

I could, too!!! That one is a real beauty, eh? That car is actually owned by a very good family friend of ours. It’s an awesome, awesome car, no doubt about it! Thanks for taking the time to swing by and see us here today, Stacy, we sure do appreciate it!

I love the 63 split-window! My favorite Vette!

You are most certainly not alone there, Rick! Thanks so much for your visit and comments today, my friend, that really means a lot!

Another visit with the favorite car of Vancouver Island Toad. The ’63 Stinray is killer my friend.

Thank you my fine friend! 🙂 Hard to tell that we like ‘Vettes around here, ain’t it? We love all muscle cars, actually, just the Corvette happens to be our favorite. Thanks so much for taking the time to pop by and see us, and for leaving us your great comments today!

I feel like I can hear and feel those engines just rumbling! love that last image especially Toad!

Thanks Jim, that really means a lot to us! Yep, that shot on Flickr is going great guns over there too, it seems to be a fan favorite!! I like it too. A lot. Many thanks for your kind visit, my friend!

9. avatar Diane says:

great photographs of these lovely classics. I too love classic cars. Judging by the age of people most interested in the classic cars, this may be the last generation of classic cars — don’t know that anyone has that same connection to cars anymore – seems a shame.

We are definitely seeing this trend, too. Many of the newer model cars don’t really have much personality, either, in comparison to the classics, so it’s harder to form a “relationship” with them in my humble opinion. You would take a look at a ’57 Chevy and know exactly what it was in a glimpse when I was growing up. Not so easy these days. Thank you so much for your kind visit, Diane, we sure do appreciate you taking the time and leaving us your comments!

10. avatar Adam Allegro says:

Awesome shots Toad. That first Vette is SICK! Nice work buddy.

Thank you so much, Adam, coming from you that means an awful lot to us here! Many thanks good sir!