Sometimes we encounter a story in the city that is so profound it’s actually difficult to write about.  As the years go by the issues become more complex and tangled as people pass on, bylaws change and society continues to evolve.  Today’s story is one such story.  Today’s story features a city landmark that almost everyone who has lived here for more than 20 years is aware of but many have long forgotten about as it now sits in a state of decay.  Please join us as we look at Ian’s Coffee Shop and Turner’s News, two connected businesses that were here in our city since 1937.  The future for them is highly uncertain.

Ian's Coffee Shop / Turner's News - Victoria, BC, Canada

Ian’s Coffee Shop / Turner’s News – Victoria, BC, Canada

This story is a sister story to one we previously posted.  “Higgledy-Piggledy House” is a post that features a house just behind this establishment that is in very poor condition.  The house and this facility featured here today are owned by the same family as far as our research shows.  We understand through communication and feedback with some local folks that there is an ongoing dispute between the family and the city in regards to what to do with these buildings.

And what a shame that is.  As everyone takes their individual positions on the subject, these buildings continue to deteriorate and decay.  We’ve said it before; time waits for no one, not even city council.

Ian's Coffee Shop / Turner's News - Victoria, BC, Canada

Ian’s Coffee Shop / Turner’s News – Victoria, BC, Canada

Why would an old coffee shop and confectionery store matter, you ask?  At first glance, this building doesn’t appear to have much in terms of architectural appeal to it.  It’s just a square building with very few details.  That is, until you start to uncover the hidden story behind it, and start to really take a close look at some of the details.

Ian Turner was a much larger-than-life character in our city.  In the 1920’s and 1930’s the Richmond area was fast becoming one of the city’s key municipalities that featured lovely homes, the city’s main hospital and many other amenities.  As far as we can tell the Turner family set up the coffee shop and store at that time to service a growing community that was very active in the immediate area around the Royal Jubilee Hospital.  And from there Ian Turner became a key figure in our city with almost everyone having met him at some point.  All who met him enjoyed his outgoing and gregarious nature.  He was a friendly and warm man who worked hard over the years with a focus more on the community than becoming rich and famous.

As a result of this, to this day many of us remember him fondly.

Ian's Coffee Shop / Turner's News - Victoria, BC, Canada

Ian’s Coffee Shop / Turner’s News – Victoria, BC, Canada

If you were visiting a family member across the road at the hospital, you’d come here for a break, a meal and a friendly smile.  If you lived nearby, you’d come here every morning for the renowned home-made breakfasts Ian made.  I personally have put away more than one of Ian’s burgers, and even as I sit here sharing this story with everyone I recall them.

If you look past the wear, decay and graffiti in this picture, subtle details begin to really emerge.  The tiles that trim the lower portion of the building facade here truly appear to be authentic tiles from the 30’s, 40’s or 50’s.  And that’s just the very first layer of nostalgia that we peel away for a closer look.

Ian's Coffee Shop / Turner's News - Victoria, BC, Canada

Ian’s Coffee Shop / Turner’s News – Victoria, BC, Canada

As I was researching for background information to use in this story, it became readily apparent that for some reason all online records of the store and Ian Turner are slowly disappearing.  Very little official information can be found online, just a few anecdotal stories and personal experiences of those who Ian’s presence touched remain.  I don’t know if this is because of lack of interest, or if someone is removing the information to lower the conspicuity of the building and its current state right in the heart of our city.

Ian's Coffee Shop / Turner's News - Victoria, BC, Canada

Ian’s Coffee Shop / Turner’s News – Victoria, BC, Canada

As we came across this sign I found myself becoming sentimental.  Is this all that remains of the legacy of a man who tirelessly provided food, comfort and a kind word to the citizens of our city?  Many people who came here came because of a loved one being tended to across the street at the hospital.  No matter what the circumstances were, no matter how little hope was left for some, Ian always shared a smile and a kind word.

Ian's Coffee Shop / Turner's News - Victoria, BC, Canada

Ian’s Coffee Shop / Turner’s News – Victoria, BC, Canada

This picture tells a story of decades rolling past.  The Interac sign posted on the door speaks to modern conveniences, yet the Business Hours sign is a true throwback to the 70’s and 80’s.  If you look past the rust and grime that has accumulated on it, you begin to see the authentic curtains that still adorn the windows, albeit in a deteriorating state.  These curtains simply have to be from decades now long past as I remember similar ones in my house growing up in the 60’s.

Ian's Coffee Shop / Turner's News - Victoria, BC, Canada

Ian’s Coffee Shop / Turner’s News – Victoria, BC, Canada

This is one of my favorite pictures from the shoot.  This is clearly an art-deco design and all the subtle weathering and wear has really added a lot of character.  The only possible way this scene could be any better is if the sign was completely refurbished as it sits lit above the door welcoming customers to a thriving store.  Sadly, all that was heard as we stood in this spot was silence, save for the odd car that passed by as the occupants went about their busy lives without any understanding of the significance of the building they just passed.

Ian's Coffee Shop / Turner's News - Victoria, BC, Canada

Ian’s Coffee Shop / Turner’s News – Victoria, BC, Canada

Around back there was even a pickup window, a reminder of times when things were simpler.  Of times when drive-in restaurants and theaters were cornerstones of the communities we lived in.

We really have no clue as to what is going to become of Ian’s Diner and Turner’s News.  The building has been left in this state for about 10 years now.  The only information I was able to find about how it got here was that in the early 2000’s Ian had some form of an accident or injury at work and that’s when the doors were closed for the last time.

There are still some of us who recall the Coffee Shop and Ian Turner as is evidenced by a Facebook Fan Page for the building.  Posts are few and far between, and the last update goes back over a year.  The real gem here, though, is if you visit the photos section of the page.  There you will find a handful of absolutely incredible photographs that take us all back to the times when this was a busy place, a destination for everyone.  Even though the memories are becoming harder to find, there are still many of us that wax nostalgic when we stop and think about what this place, and what Ian himself, have meant to us and the community over the years.

Thank you for taking the time to visit and share this story with us here today, we really do appreciate it.  As always, we love to hear from all our visitors so we encourage you to leave us any comments that you may have.

Addendum: August 9, 2013

A wonderful friend and fan of our site shared a link to a music video by the “Cactus Pricks” called “Would You Still Dance” that features a few landmarks from the city of Victoria, including Ian’s Coffee Shop back in the day!  I believe we even see Ian himself making an appearance in the video!

1. Wow, does this post bring back memories! I’ve known that coffee shop forever, but never knew the story behind it. Thanks so much for researching and sharing it, Toad, and for the beautiful photos.

Thank you so much for taking the time to pop by and see us here, Laurie, we sure do appreciate it! It really is a landmark here in the city, isn’t it. It seems that almost everyone we know has some form of a connection. We really appreciate your kindness and support!!

Times and locations change, but these stories bear great similarities. In my birthplace of Baltimore Maryland, we have seen this exact scenario play out on more levels than can be counted. Many historic places that should have been preserved fell to neglect and eventually, the wrecking ball.

The photos and the story you tell here is amazing, Toad. I can feel a connection with this old place, although I have never been there.

Excellent photos as always. it’s a great service to document what may well be the curtain-call of a bygone era in this community.

Well done my friend, well done!

*bows* Thanks so much, Jimi, your gracious and kind comments here mean so much to us! We are absolutely compelled to do this sort of work, if not for us photogs out there documenting these things, they could be lost forever. That’s just absolutely heartbreaking to us, so we get out there as much as we can to try and do something!! Thanks so much for your great background story and for taking the time to visit my friend!

3. avatar Heather says:

This breaks my heart. I would love to see this place alive again….beautiful work Toad….

Thank you so, so much Heather! You are not alone in your sentiments, my dear friend. Many thanks for your visit today, we sure do appreciate it.

I just love that you care so deeply about things near to you that you take the time to research, write, photograph, and share it with us all – nicely done my friend

We’re totally, totally honored by your thoughts here today, Jim, especially considering they come from you! Thanks so much, my friend, that means an awful lot.

Toads – you have clearly gone the extra mile on this one – the photos seem to have extra touches to make them even better than usual, and the story is so well told. I pass this place several times a week and have all the same responses as you to this spot, including the urge to photograph it (though I have not yet done so, and now I don’t need to). Great story and pictures.

Thank you so much, my good friend! That means a ton to us coming from you. It seems that this island of ours has captured our hearts and our minds and we are absolutely compelled to try and do something to preserve some of these things for future generations, even if it is just in a photograph. I cannot tell you how much we appreciate you taking the time to pop by and leave us these great comments, Ehpem, thank you!!!

Your passion about the demise of these forgotten places really comes though your great images and post Toad. The best images always tell stories as yours always do.

We recognize this as a huge compliment, thank you so much Len! Your visit and comments here today mean the world to us!

Man, this sounds like it would have rocked to try before closing down. I like the sign that says how long they have been in business. Kind of ironic to have that in the window of a business no longer open 🙁

Exactly! I really found that particular shot was a bit heartbreaking for some reason. Really great comments here, Chris, thanks for taking the time to visit and leave us your thoughts my friend!

It is sad to see places that you loved change and become only a memory. Very poignant post Toad and excellent images. Your favorite is my favorite as well. I just love the Turner’s Sign image.

We thank you so much, from the bottom of our hearts Edith! Your visits are always a highlight of our day as we just love to interact with you and see your thoughts like this. Just wonderful.

9. avatar Rose Richard says:

Sad to hear of the decay. You captured it so well. Wouldn’t it be great if it could be revived into a thriving arts district?….

There’s a good idea!! Truly!! Thanks so much, Rose, we are so delighted to see you come by regularly since we’ve met here online. I can’t begin to tell you how much we appreciate it!

10. How incredibly sad. You did a wonderful job of capturing what is still there.

Thank you so much, kind sir, we sure do appreciate your visit and comments! That just means so much!

A sad tale, eloquently told. In the UK, councils can compel owners to make repairs to buildings that are being left to rot ‘or else’. It’s an unfortunate feature of modern life that ‘nostalgia’ doesn’t figure in many folks lives – we live in a disposable society. More’s the pity. It’s encouraging to hear that some people do still care. We can only hope that with people like you raising the profile of buildings like these, something will eventually happen.

Terrific thoughts here, Andy, I sure do appreciate you taking the time to pop by and leave these for us and everyone else to enjoy. I totally agree with your thoughts there. I believe we do have some bylaws that are related to the ones you discuss, I am just not entirely sure the details of them or how they might apply to a situation like this. It seems to us to be a bit of a stand-off at the moment, but the truth of the matter is this place has been like this for quite some time now. We can only hope that something comes of all this…

Many thanks for all your encouragement and support here, Andy, you are both a true scholar and a gentleman my friend.

• avatar ehpem says:

Hi Toad and Andy – the problem around here is that the legislation provides for compensation to the owner if a building is Designated (and is not already automatically protected for some reason, which very very few are). Thus, if council were to Designate this as a heritage site without the owner’s permission, they could be hit with a big bill. This happened recently with the Roger’s Chocolate building which had it’s interior designated in an attempt to prevent it being changed during a reno. It cost the City Council something like $400,000 after a court case (who knows what the lawyers cost). So, the root of the problem is dysfunctional legislation that allows important bits of heritage to be destroyed.

There’s definitely some circular logic at play here. I had heard that there was a kerfuffle with the heritage designation at Roger’s there, didn’t know it was this deep an issue. We really need to change these laws, you (Ehpem) have taught us some things recently about these laws that frankly don’t make a lot of common sense.

12. Love those old retro buildings…. it would be nice if someone was willing to invest in their future!!

I totally, totally agree with you Derrick! Thanks so kindly for taking the time to pop by and see us here, we sure do appreciate it!

13. I really enjoyed this set of photos, loads of character in that old building. My favorite is the isolation shot of the Turner sign, terrific work!

Thank you, Michael, that’s awfully kind! I agree with you about the Turner sign, that one was my favorite, too. As a matter of fact, the second I hit the shutter on that one, I knew what we were going for. Thanks a ton for popping by today, and for leaving us your incredible comments, kind sir!

14. avatar Renee Besta says:

Toad, this story is nearly heartbreaking, but very important to tell. It is one of the reasons I love urbex photography. History is vitally important in this day and age when communities seem so fractured. The connections we had growing up can sometimes feel lost to the younger generations that haven’t a clue of what life was like in the past.

Your photography is wonderful and demonstrates the importance of carrying these special stories forward and bringing them to light. I love the image of the vintage neon sign. It makes me want to go inside and have a cup of coffee and chat with wonderful friends. Thank you for the great work you provide on historical preservation, and the importance of community.

Your kind words here mean so very much to us, Renee, thank you for taking the time! Your ongoing friendship, support and encouragement of the work we do is the fuel that drives us forward, my dear friend. We certainly owe you a huge debt of gratitude!

15. I really love that neon sign shot! It is really sad to say we live in a society where there is so much division between those who want to restore nostalgic places like this and those who don’t care about them one way or another. This makes what you do as a photographer that much more important. You bring attention to circumstances that seem to be overlooked. Hopefully with your documentation of these buildings something can be done. Thanks for sharing this wonderfully written article and images Toad!

Thank you so, so much Michael, that really means an awful lot to us coming from you my friend!

16. avatar Linda Woodbury says:

My son is interested in this building as he lives near here. I remember having pie and coffee here in the late 70’s with my husband while waiting for our laundry at the laundromat across Fort St. (now the Moka House). I enjoyed it then and I love the old art deco architecture. I appreciate your interest and photos, and wish more people and the government in Victoria were interested in keeping up the heritage buildings in our city and preserving the stories of these places too. It makes sense as our industry is tourism. There should be more legislation to protect the character and heritage here.

Well done!

That is just so kind of you to say, Linda, thanks for taking the time to visit us here today, and for leaving these wonderful, wonderful comments. It brings us a lot of personal satisfaction to be involved in projects like this and when we get feedback from folks like you it makes it all worthwhile. We sincerely appreciate your visit, and hope to see you again here at The Hollow!! 🙂

17. avatar Colin Bailey says:

Greetings from the Facebook group! I’ve also posted a few mini-musings about the “Ian Turner Building” on a couple of Flickr pages and I, too, noted that online references to the building and businesses seem to be disappearing, so it’s good to know that we’re on the same page, as it were.

I just thought I’d share that although I live up-island now, I do get down to Victoria occasionally, most recently last week. I was driving past Ian’s and I had to stop at the Richmond/Fort intersection. An older gentleman, probably late 60’s, had stopped before crossing Birch from the medical building. He suddenly whipped out his phone and started taking pictures of the Turner’s sign.

I think the businesses in this building have touched an awful lot of people and I wish the web were more of a unifying force to get them to pull together. I somehow think a critical mass of admirers would influence the building’s fate.

• avatar ehpem says:

I fear the worse – driving by the other day I noticed wisps of a worn out blue tarp poking above the front of the building, right above the neon sign. I expect that the roof is leaking pretty badly now, which is probably the kiss of death for this building.

Hi Colin, welcome to The Hollow!! We really appreciate your visit here, and your comments. It always means so much to us when we’re able to connect like this with like-minded folks from the island here. I am quite sure this is a city landmark and as such I personally believe it should be saved. Not sure if there’s any local appetite to spend the energy or money on it, though, and that’s a real shame. Thanks for popping on by, we sure do hope to see you again!

18. avatar Colin Bailey says:

Didn’t see the tarp when I drove by a couple of weeks ago, but then again I was headed south down Richmond. That’s sad news indeed.

By the way, I forgot to point out what I think is the highlight of the various decals on the entrance door. Did you notice that, in contrast to the “no smoking” sign on the bottom of the door, that the decal that has the building number on it is actually an ad for Buckingham cigarettes?

Oh wow, I didn’t notice that, that’s what I call the pure definition of irony. Times sure have changed in a very short period of time, in my humble opinion.

19. […] according to wiki, streamline moderne is supposed to be about mainly horizontal lines: http://toadhollowphoto.com/2012/10/2…-lies-forlorn/ turners & just around the corner http://toadhollowphoto.com/2012/08/0…iggledy-house/ […]

We certainly appreciate being part of the ongoing discussions in the area in terms of our heritage buildings. Many thanks to this netizen for including our images in the blog post.

20. avatar Tracey Maguire says:

I remember enjoying awesome grilled cheese sandwiches at Ian’s. He also made delicious homemade donuts! The place was always hopping! A wonderful little home-spun restaurant with a great guy running it. A true Victorian institution! I have often dreamed of re-opening it myself…Oh…when I win the lottery! Thank you to Ian for all he did for our beautiful city!

What wonderful comments, Tracey, thank you for popping on by our blog and taking the time to leave these! I am sure everyone will enjoy them!

21. avatar Darrel Watchman says:

Great photos and narrative that bring back many fond memories . Sad to see the state it has been in for more than a decade . Seems to be a problem in Victoria with the Turner Block , Janion Hotel and Northern Junk buildings . Hopefully something good will be done with this property as it is a prime location .

Thanks so, so much for visiting and commenting here, Darrel. I completely agree with you on all points. Funny you should mention the Janion and the Northern Junk buildings, those are my very favorite little buildings in the city and I worry greatly about losing them to development. These buildings are really an important part of the fabric and personality of our city and they really should be preserved for us and all future generations to enjoy.

22. Hi Toad, A friend linked this wonderful nostalgic article of yours to our facebook author page because my husband, J. Robert Whittle wrote a popular series of 3 books set in 1900-1920 Victoria. He utilized Turners as a restaurant owned by his main character during WW1 so it must have been here in those years. He depicted many of the customers as wounded soldiers from the hospital. I always felt sad about this building as it decayed more each time I saw it. It was so unique set on that ‘funny’ corner as we all called it back in the 50s. I was never a customer though having lived near Mayfair, so far away! but hated to see it neglected and wondered why. No one mentions the fact that the School of Nursing was located in the building across the street at least in the 50s and 60s. I’m sure many of them visited Turners often! Thanks for the great research and memories. Nice to know more about it. I’ll have to see how much of it Robert discovered and I know he will enjoy your history lesson. We never have enough ‘historians’ like you around to educate us on these amazing old buildings.

Joyce, we are so delighted and humbled to read your wonderful comments here today, thank you so much both for taking the time to visit, but also for taking the time to leave us these FABULOUS comments I am sure everyone will enjoy!! Best wishes to you and your family, please let us know if there’s any way we can be of service!

23. avatar JoAnn Kevala says:

Thanks for capturing a little peice of history. I worked at Ian’s in the late 80s while in highschool! He as a true character, and there was always people coming in who came back to viset. Ian had an amazing memory for people and they loved hiim. Lots of nurses in training remember Ian’s as their hangout during nursing training. I learned a real work ethic working for Ian that has stuck with me to this day. Forever embedded in my mind is “If there is time to lean, there is time to clean”. Sad to hear he passed away and to see the building in decay as I grew up in that area and its a real landmark.

Thank you so much for taking the time to pop by and see us, JoAnn, and for leaving these really terrific comments that I am sure everyone will enjoy. There are so many stories like this in terms of the mark that Ian left behind in our city here and I love hearing about them all. Thanks so very, very much.

24. avatar David says:

Anyone know what is happening to Ian’s? There is some city action in front of it on Richmond, blocking off the sidewalk, etc. Could this be the end?

Hi David, thanks for visiting!! I just got back, as we speak here, from doing an interview with CTV on Vancouver Island here. I understand the piece will probably air on tonight’s local CTV news feed. It seems at the moment that the city of Victoria has done an inspection of the building and has deemed it unsafe. I understand they are trying to work with the owners at the moment to do something with the buildings and property. I suspect we all will need to keep our eyes open as this story unfolds over the coming weeks. My wife and I have plans to return there tomorrow to do another full photo-shoot to update our photographs here and write a follow-up story for everyone. Thank you for caring and for taking the time to visit and leave your comments, we really appreciate it.

25. avatar Heather Fox says:

I have lived across the Fort Royal parking lot from Ian’s and the Turner Building for 33 years, so I have had the sad experience of watching the building, which had Turner’s grocery on the corner, Ian’s Cafe, a flower shop and rental suites in, and the house behind gradually deteriorate into the shocking condition they are in today. I understand that Ian was at war with the city for allowing the Medical Building at 2020 Richmond to be built 30+ years ago, and that was the beginning of letting his properties go into disrepair, and I gather his family are carrying on with it long after Ian’s death. There was also a 1912 home on Pembroke behind the derelict house that the city tore down because Ian refused to repair it. So it’s a long sad saga. I’m glad to see that you’re taking an interest in it and documenting in photographs, and we in the Jubilee neighbourhood hope that something might be done there to honour the corner. Many people have approached the family to sell and have been unsuccessful. Perhaps now that the city is involved they may be more willing……

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment here with your insights Heather, we really appreciate that. I love your sentiment and agree with you, I am still convinced that there is time if we were to band together as a community. Support from folks like you goes a long way in this regard, thank you very much.

26. avatar Toni says:

Let’s raise awareness & $$$ &I get this place restored!!

I love it, thanks Toni!! We’re loving all the attention that the community is putting on this issue, it’s the only hope we really have for a positive outcome to this story. Thanks for taking the time to comment!

27. avatar Sue says:

I was one of the many student nurses, in the 70’s, who ran over to Ians for a fresh donut or burger when we had chance! He was such a friendly, happy man and always had timeto listen or share a joke. It’s a shame what money and greed does to families…..I think Ian would be sad to see his once thriving, happy shop so forlorn.

• I completely agree with you on that one, Sue, for sure. Love your memories, thank you for both taking the time to visit us here and for leaving these behind for everyone else to enjoy.

28. avatar Kim Stewart says:

Hi, The first house I ever lived in was just around the corner from this quaint little bldg. My parents, younger sister and myself would walk there for lunches or simply one of “Mr. Ian’s” yummy soft serve ice creams. Some of my earliest memories include eating there with his great cheeseburgers and pea soup. Mmmmm. My parents always taught us to respect our elders and didn’t feel we should call him simply Ian. Nor did he wish to be called Mr. Turner, as that was “too fancy for him”. We all agreed upon Mr. Ian from the very start. The way that gentleman would run a kitchen was amazing to watch, not to mention the fact that he’d remove incredibly hot items from the oven without even considering a potholder, come to think of it, I cannot remember seeing one ever. This fascinated my sister and I for entire meals, just watching him work and greet each person through his door. Plus seat people in small groups with other folks who were dining solo, and introduce them all as if they were all his favourite family members. New friendships were built right in front of my eyes.

BUT, my best memory of Mr Ian, hands down, would be that every Christmas, he’d dress up like Santa Claus and bring my sister and I a candy cane, right to the front door of our house!!!! It wasn’t until years later that we realized who it was. Even after that he continued for a few more years. To this day, I still don’t know who enjoyed that experience more….2 young girls who adore Santa or Santa himself!!!!

This bldg is not just a bldg, it is a Landmark and a memory shared my many generations of my family, never to be erased when this Landmark is put to rest.

• Oh my gosh, what a terrific terrific story Kim, thank you for taking the time to visit us here and for leaving this behind for everyone to surely enjoy! It’s really amazing to see all the wonderful stories come to light, all the lives that Ian touched in some meaningful and personal way. We just love him and all this building stands for and are hoping for a miracle here. Thank you so much for your kind visit.

29. […] and the Turner building in such poor condition, we shared the story with everyone in our post “A City Landmark Lies Forlorn“. Since then, we’d found so many other people who share our feelings for this place and have […]

30. avatar Long Time Victoria Property Owner says:

It makes me sick to see interesting buildings like this one fall to pieces courtesy of family that inherit it from the hardworking owner. Right about now, Ian is turning over in his grave considering how his family has let this place fall apart. One can assume this property has been mortgage free for decades so why not maintain it? It is on a busy corner and could have easily been reused for rental accomodations with commercial on the ground floor. They could not even maintain the house that sits behind this building which is quite pathetic.

Now it will face the wrecking ball along with the teardown house that sits behind it.

• We support free speech and this topic is full of differing opinions from people on both sides of the equation and a heap of people just trying to find a way to help. In my humble opinion, the days of finger pointing and trying to lay blame are well behind us all in terms of this issue and serve no real purpose in trying to find a resolution. I understand you are upset and appreciate you taking the time to leave your comments. We are hoping to open a positive dialog and try to work together with the community to find a resolution to the issue. If you have anything constructive to add in terms of helping the overall community work towards a resolution, please feel free to provide your insights.

31. avatar Joyfulgozo Joyfulgozo says:

I popped by to appreciate the background to the current event topic on this building. HOPE the building can really flourish due to it apparently being purchased now in Jan/Feb 2014.

32. avatar kevin Cole says:

Don’t know if you ever saw this CD cover featuring Ians Coffee Shop.