The bell clangs and the children rush to class.  First opened in 1855 to the growing community at the Craigflower Farm, the first 26 eager students had a bright future.  Education was a cornerstone in their development to help them become the future leaders and skilled tradespeople that helped to foment the city we live in today.  And the indelible marks they have all created are still found all around us.

Thank you for joining us once again today as we take you inside the wonderful heritage facility called the Craigflower Schoolhouse, a wonderful National Historic Site that is carefully and lovingly managed and maintained by the people working at TLC The Land Conservancy of BC.

Craigflower Schoolhouse – Victoria, BC, Canada

Back in simpler times when entertainment was sparse and the children had to create their own form of fun, classes like this were filled with young boys whose prime focus was on collecting tadpoles and dipping the girls’ hair in the ink wells, and young girls focused on playing with their dolls and setting up house.  Much of this seems to be lost in today’s modern times and it is always such a treat to have a chance to transport yourself back in time by visiting wonderful facilities like the schoolhouse.  Basic comforts were attended to with things such as candles for light and fires for warmth.  There was no electricity, so classes were taught by the flickering light as the inquisitive young minds soaked up the lessons of the day.

Craigflower Schoolhouse – Victoria, BC, Canada

Having a chance to photograph such a wonderful and important place in our community was something we did with joy and reverence.  This was definitely an experience we will never forget.  As we explored the school, almost like excited children ourselves, we found item after item that expressed the true character of the times they lived in.  This piano, for example, was constructed of the most beautiful and finely crafted wood, full of intricate details that really express the sense of pride and craftsmanship that went into creating it.

Craigflower Schoolhouse – Victoria, BC, Canada

All the wonderful woodwork, evident in both the benches here as well as the wood flooring, helps to create a feeling of warmth and comfort to the room.  Children aged from 4 to 16 sat in these very benches as the lessons were shared and exams written.  Times were less complicated, and in many cases more difficult, but this surely did not dampen the excitement the children had in learning about the new world in which they found themselves.

Craigflower Schoolhouse – Victoria, BC, Canada

What once were items used to deliver the class lessons today are items that hold our attention and imagination, desperately trying to imagine what life must have been like those many years ago.  What sights have these spectacles seen?  What were the children doing when this wonderful old bell was rung in an effort to gain their attention and bring their focus back to the tasks at hand?  Perhaps these are all questions that will forever remain unanswered, but there is great beguilement to be found in exploring and questioning.

Craigflower Schoolhouse – Victoria, BC, Canada

As we look over the sea of desks we see the entry door, a storage closet and the authentic old fireplace.  At first glance the viewer is struck by the wonderful character that can be found here, but a question soon begins to pester you…  are these lines straight?  Closer scrutiny reveals that indeed, they are not.  This is a direct result of this old school being built atop a shell midden which undoubtedly accounts for some of the settling over the years.  These wonderfully quirky angles also serve to create some interesting natural character that can only be found in buildings of this genre.

Craigflower Schoolhouse – Victoria, BC, Canada

Winters can be cold and dreary in the western part of Canada with months on end of dark, grey skies pouring their hearts down upon the residents below.  A fireplace is a critical element that produces heat and dries the room and air, and also serves as a comfortable place to gather.  These wonderful bricks are beautiful in their own right, perfectly accented here by the simple yet elegant wood mantle that adorns them.

Craigflower Schoolhouse – Victoria, BC, Canada

These wonderful old books were really great details to find on our adventure.  You can almost hear the giggles of the school children as they go about their day of learning.  Whose little fingers used these books all those years ago?  I certainly remember some of the school books I had when I was growing up, the feel of the paper and the smell of the book still quite alive in my mind today.  These are all special memories that help make me the person I am.

Craigflower Schoolhouse – Victoria, BC, Canada

As we make our way to the kitchen in the back of the schoolhouse, we pass through this old wooden door.  You just don’t see doorknobs like this these days, and it is this attention to detail that really offers a genuine experience of visiting another time.  And once again,  the natural weathering here is really part of the remnants of those who once thrived and lived here.  Each mark, each bit of wear,  all tell their own story.

Craigflower Schoolhouse – Victoria, BC, Canada

All the displays in the schoolhouse museum are authentic and tangible.  We find that being residents of the 21st century has dulled some of our recollections in regards to certain aspects of our past, and having a chance to visit a place like this really brings all these memories back.  The people who worked so hard and toiled in a new and unforgiving land would be delighted to know that we all pause and remember them.  This is truly part of the legacy that they have all left behind.

Craigflower Schoolhouse – Victoria, BC, Canada

Nary a straight line exists in the schoolhouse, and we’ve tried to capture this essence in our photography but it’s very difficult to translate this to an image.  The more time you spend exploring the facility, the more secrets it reveals.  Without a doubt, this was an absolutely magical time we had photographing this place and if you are near to the Victoria area yourself, we can think of no better way for you to spend an afternoon.

We are just in the midst of running a fundraising campaign here at The Hollow with the great folks at The Land Conservancy of BC.  Our Green Heart Challenge page outlines our initiative on behalf of TLC and we wholeheartedly encourage everyone to pop by and give what you can.  No amount is too small as TLC strives to continue to maintain and serve our community, please give what you can today.

Thank you for visiting us and joining us as we explore this great facility.  We have one more post coming in the next few days that will take us upstairs in the schoolhouse here to explore the living quarters.  If you’ve been following along and enjoying this series so far, you won’t want to miss that!

Please feel free to leave us any comments that you may have as we always love to hear from all our visitors.  Now, grab your books and head for school!…  you don’t want to be late!

Oh these are just fabulous Toad. I love this series. You’ve captured the beauty of this school house in every image right down to that marvellous wood floor. I do have to say that there’s something about the BW image that just keeps drawing me back. It’s perfect.

Thank you so much, my dear friend, your comments mean an awful lot to us. I can’t begin to thank you enough for all your support, Edith, you are one of the best friends a pair of Toads could have!

2. Toad, I made one comment about the globe and the bell earlier however, after going back through all the photos, I am so fascinated with all the images, from the attention to detail to the thoughts of stepping back in time and what it may have been like for the children attending during that period. Very well done.

Thank you Robert, we’re very humbled and honored to see your comments here this morning! I can’t tell you how much we appreciate you taking the time to pop by, and for sharing these really wonderful thoughts!

3. Hello Mr Toad, What a great photographic essay this is. Composition and fine detail, especially where the beautiful textures of the materials show, make this viewing totally exciting. Perhaps I have a few favorites, but not sure. Every photo up there is good enough to be a favorite of mine.

You made my whole day, Joseph, thank you so much, from the bottom of my heart! What kind comments to leave for us!

What a fabulous photo tour of this school house! Love all the details. It really gives a sense for being in school there!

5. avatar Rachel Cohen says:

Really wonderful series of images Toad! I feel as if I could reach out and touch the school books on the desks, and grab an apple out of the bowl! Fantastic processing as always my friend! Have a fantastic evening at the Hollow! 🙂

We absolutely will, my dear friend, and the same to you in return! Many, many thanks there Rachel, we sure do appreciate that!

6. Wonderful images and great fun to read! I really enjoyed this post, Toad. I’ve gone by that building many times and wondered about it, so really appreciated this lovely look at what’s inside. Thanks so much!

And thanks to you for taking the time to visit, and for leaving us these wonderful comments that everyone can enjoy! Much appreciated there, Laurie!

All I got is this: BADASS!

😀 LOL Thanks so much, Chris! You never cease to bring a huge smile to my face whenever you visit, my fine friend! We sure do appreciate your support!!

8. That looks like the old schoolhouse at my museum. 😉

Thanks so very kindly for your visit here today, Derrick, it’s great to see you here! Thanks for taking the time to leave us your comments, it’s a real treat for us to hear from all our visitors here!

9. avatar Michelle says:

Great site! Really enjoy your combination of beautiful photography and history. Cheers!

What great comments to find here this morning, thank you! I am going to be checking out your blog, too, it sure does look like we might enjoy discussing similar topics! Thanks for your visit, and for taking the time to leave us your comments, we sure to appreciate it!

10. avatar ABarlow says:

Grats on the move sir!

One thing I love about your shots, is I always get to see the old-school DETAIL that used to be used. You just don’t see that much anymore.

Thank you so, so much Aaron, we sure do love it when you pop by and leave us your thoughts to enjoy! That means an awful lot to us.

I love your attention to the fine detail of this interior. Only someone who is passionate about documenting these buildings, like you are, would find these little nuggets of interest and write about them so well. As always a joy to read through

Wow, Andy, I am so very humbled and honored today by your kind words! Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and for leaving these incredibly meaningful thoughts!

12. Great series Toad, lovely details and processing, well done

13. I was never late for class…….
    I just didn’t do! 😀

Wonderful images Toad!

You must have been fun to hang out with, Mike! LOL Great comments, my friend, thank you so much for taking the time to pop on by and leave these awesome comments for everyone to get a chuckle from! You sir, are the best of the best!

14. Wonderful job bringing all these beautiful details to life. I really enjoy your storytelling through words and images.

Thank you so, so much there, Steven, that means a whole lot to us here! Really appreciate that, my friend!

15. Absolutely fan-flippin’-tastic post Toad! I love the way hdr brings out the details in wood. And the shot of the piano is great! Well they all are but that would be my favorite! We have a place down here called Heritage Village in Largo, Florida. It is a museum full of old buildings. After reading this you have inspired me. I need to go back there and and look for the little details that make up the big picture, so to speak! Great job my friend!

What great comments to receive, Michael, thank you so very much for all your support! This Heritage Village you speak of sounds wonderful, my friend! That’s a place I would sure love to visit!

Fantastic post Toad – how I missed it the first time around I don’t know. But I am very glad to find it now. You have done a terrific job of documenting this building, both outside and inside. All those terrific details, and such delicate post-processing to match the contents so well! The TLC must be very pleased.

Thanks, Ehpem! We are thrilled, too, to have a chance to work with such a wonderful group. It’s definitely one of those win-win things where we get the opportunity to produce some really fabulous images and they get some additional exposure. One of our most important and personally significant projects we’ve tackled this year so far. Thanks for all your support, my friend!!