Even a pair of busy Toads need a break every once in a while.  This week finds us sneaking away from The Hollow to spend a few days deep in the forests of Vancouver Island, away from electricity and running water.  This, of course, includes the internet.  How scary is that?  No internet?  Whoaw.

The Gorge Waterway - Victoria, BC, Canada

The Gorge Waterway – Victoria, BC, Canada

We’re heading out to the Cowichan River where we will be spending a night in one of TLC The Land Conservancy of BC’s properties, a tiny cabin by the river with no modern-day conveniences.  As the weather has finally become quite nice here on the island, this is the perfect time for a secret getaway!  Mrs. Toad and I of course will be doing a full photo-shoot of this property, so you can expect to see it on our blog in the not too distant future!

Time goes by so fast these days.  The excitement around here is almost palpable from all the recent happenings and the upcoming plans, so the chance to completely unplug for a couple of days and just stick our flippers in the river is something we’re very much looking forward to.  As most of you who follow us regularly know, the Cowichan Valley and the Cowichan River are two of my very favorite spots on the entire planet, so this is highly meaningful.  This is the area I spent most of my time growing up, and because of seeing the island through the eyes of my mom, now long gone, it remains a very special place in my heart.

So please know that even though we will be off the grid, our hearts will be full of joy as we take this time for ourselves.  We’ll be thinking of everyone and looking forward to our return, but for the next few days here it’s all about connecting with the nature we find ourselves surrounded by.

Thank you so much for your visit here today, we sure do appreciate it!  As always, we totally love to hear from everyone, so please don’t hesitate to leave us your comments!!

1. avatar Adam Allegro says:

Have a blast!!! Enjoy your well deserved time off Toads!

Thank you so, so much Adam, we really appreciate your kind words today! We’ll hoist a delicious beverage in your honor, my friend!

2. avatar Mrs. Mudpuppy says:

Have a flippin’ great time you two! We’ll hold down the fort while you’re away 😉

OK, we’re back and it is SO good to see the fort still standing! Nice job there, our dearest friends, the Mudpuppies! We tip our top hats to you in thanks! 😀

3. It looks like a heavenly place my friend and I hope the weather stays fine for you. We had some great holidays in Cornwall a few years back staying in “chalets” in an abandoned slate quarry – for chalet read converted shed. No mod cons but great scenery and a chance to slow down

LOL! Great comments here, Chris, thank you so much! We had the most splendiferous time!! There is nothing like blowing the doors open in the morning, only to be greeted by acres upon acres of the most pristine and beautiful forest you’ve ever seen, with one of our heritage rivers just feet away from you down a gentle embankment! It was an awesome time!! Many thanks for your kind visit & comments, my friend, we sure do appreciate it!

4. avatar Kerri says:

Unplug and HAVE FUN!!

Thank you so much, Kerri, we can follow directions as well as the next Toads can! We did just as you mentioned, and had a most wonderful experience! Thank you SO much for taking the time to come on by and leave us your thoughts here, muchly appreciated my kind friend!

If anyone deserves some time off, you do Toad. Have a wonderful time without the interruptions of the internet. Great pic by the way.

Being off the grid is wonderful. Have a great time. We’ll be waiting for you to return and see all of your fabulous images. If they’re anything like the one on todays post I know we’re in for a treat.

You are always so very kind to us, Edith, how can we possibly begin to thank you? We really appreciate you taking the time to come by and see us here, and for leaving these most wonderful comments!

7. Enjoy your time away, and I’m already looking forward to the images of your trip.

I hope the Toads have a great vacation, but that no internet thing is rather scary. I hope you two make it through this ok 😉

Well, it got dark and there was no internet to surf, so we clung to each other and just sat back and enjoyed the ambiance! I have to admit, the first few minutes was a little unsettling, knowing that no matter what there was no way I could be in touch with all my friends here! But, we’re back, and we managed to survive the “great internet no connection time of 2012”!!

Nice shot man. Your trip sounds like tons’o fun! Make sure you and the wife bring back lots of shots from the forest! (don’t forget the macro!!)

Just wait till you see what we came home with Aaron! With your special talents and skills, I can honestly say that more than once I thought of you and how you would have really enjoyed the spot! Thanks so much for keeping the light on for us while we were gone, my fine friend!! 🙂

10. Have a great time!

Mike, thank you kind sir!! We surely did, my friend, and I can say that we really appreciate you taking the time from your super busy life to pop by and see us here!

11. Enjoy your holiday my friend! See you when you get back!

You, sir, are both a true scholar and a fine gentleman! Thanks, Mike, that really means an awful lot to us!

Enjoy the vacation! No internet is not a bad thing, just like no phone service!

I can honestly admit it turned out to be the perfect thing for us at this particular time! We had a wonderful time, Rick, thank you my friend!!

I’m glad you had a great time – it sounds wonderful. I hope you had enough camera batteries with you to keep going !

Indeed we did, but just barely! What an incredible location we were at, can’t wait to share with everyone the shots we’ve come home with! Many thanks for your kind comments & visit here, my friend, it really means an awful lot to us!

wish I could hop up there real quick, such a lovely place Toad!

Having you visit us would undoubtedly be one of our biggest highlights of the year, Jim! Even the mere notion brings a big smile to my face here! Many thanks for your kind visit, good sir, we sure do appreciate it!

15. From reading the comments I see you had a great time! I am looking forward to seeing the pics from there. Such a beautiful place! Love that shot too. I could spend months there with that kind of scenery!

Your ongoing friendship & support is what keeps us moving forward here, Michael, thank you sincerely for all you do for us!