Many argue that black is actually the absence of color.  I would argue that is also is the perfect color when it comes to sports cars.  Take the Batmobile, for example, would it look the same in a different color?  Now with that being said I’ve seen lot’s of great hot rods painted in bright colors, and we’ll be featuring some in future posts.  Today we’re looking at black cars.

We were lucky enough to have the chance to provide photography services for the recent “Vette to Victoria” event hosted by the Victoria Corvette Club, and we came away from the weekend with a great set of images to add to our catalog.  It was an absolutely incredible weekend filled with events that kept everyone jumping.  It included a great Show ‘n Shine, a rally race, slalom events and organized cruises.  We’ll be featuring images from almost all the events in upcoming posts, so please do stay tuned for those!

Show 'n Shine - Vette to Victoria - Victoria, BC, Canada

Show ‘n Shine – Vette to Victoria – Victoria, BC, Canada

One of the best parts about being part of a larger community of enthusiasts like our local Corvette club here in Victoria is the ability to participate no matter what your level of interest or investment is.  We found ourselves immersed in a group of passionate people who shared a smile or a story without a second thought or expectation.  This allowed us to get close and personal with almost all the cars on display at the Show ‘n Shine on Saturday and left us with some great memories that will never fade.

Show 'n Shine - Vette to Victoria - Victoria, BC, Canada

Show ‘n Shine – Vette to Victoria – Victoria, BC, Canada

This is a beautiful example of the latest generation Corvette modified with some tasteful customizations that made the car unique and personal.  The carbon fiber hood was a real stand out on this car, adding a dash of muscle and sportiness to a car that already looks like it’s doing about 300mph standing still.  The black custom rims further add to this feel, and I was quite certain that if this car was fully let loose that all forms of light would be sucked up behind it much like a vortex as it cut through time and space with the smallest effort.

Show 'n Shine - Vette to Victoria - Victoria, BC, Canada

Show ‘n Shine – Vette to Victoria – Victoria, BC, Canada

As we strolled around viewing and photographing the cars we went from the latest 6th generation Corvette to this stunning 2nd generation beauty sitting in the sun, waiting for visitors to stop by in awe.  This generation of the Corvette is where its reputation for being a significant player in the world of muscle cars started to really emerge.  Corvette chief engineer Zora Arkus-Duntov is considered by many to be the true driving force behind the car, and his passion and vision are still evident in today’s models.  Several of the Corvette’s from this generation remain as the most valuable cars to collectors today.

Show 'n Shine - Vette to Victoria - Victoria, BC, Canada

Show ‘n Shine – Vette to Victoria – Victoria, BC, Canada

The 427 big-block version with a 4-speed manual transmission has since become things that legends are made of.  And no doubt as to why, either.  One glance at the flowing lines with the elongated hood really delivers a feeling of intense power and speed.  The side-pipes on the car produced an interesting addition that only served to accent this.  And if you’ve ever had the chance to witness the sound that these powerful machines make either sitting still idling or running at full throttle, you’re one of a lucky few.

Show 'n Shine - Vette to Victoria - Victoria, BC, Canada

Show ‘n Shine – Vette to Victoria – Victoria, BC, Canada

The fabled 427 badge on the hood makes Corvette aficionados stop dead in their tracks.  This is a symbol of an emerging time that was all too short-lived due to the gasoline crisis of the seventies.  These cars were designed from the ground up to move through the air at maximum velocity, all by leveraging physics through the use of brute force.

Show 'n Shine - Vette to Victoria - Victoria, BC, Canada

Show ‘n Shine – Vette to Victoria – Victoria, BC, Canada

Bereft of modern intricacies like fuel injection or complex fuel-management computer systems, this car runs on cubic inches, gas and air.  Even though this great car on display at the show didn’t start it’s life as a true 427 monster-machine, the owner has spent an incredible amount of time and money creating his version of this storied car.  I can honestly also readily admit that I would take out a bank loan to build a garage for this car in The Hollow if ever one made its way to our driveway.  The new generations of Corvette are all direct reflections of this car, and just having a chance to see this beauty in person was a highlight of the event for us.  You can literally feel the history and it’s deeper underlying meaning as you take in the lines and exquisite engineering elements at work here.

The Chevrolet Corvette is much more than just a car.  It’s a passion and a way of life for many.  We really love all makes and models of muscle cars as there is something to be enjoyed and admired in all of them.  But we also can say with much enthusiasm that the Corvette is our hands-down favorite, no matter what year or model.

Many thanks for your visit today, we really hope you enjoyed checking out these incredible cars on display with us.  As always, we really do love to hear from all our visitors so please don’t hesitate to leave us your thoughts and comments!!

1. Now that is dedication, the shine on those cars is stunning and that 427 looks killer. Great set of images Toad old thing.

Thank you so, so much Chris, that means a lot to us here my friend! We really appreciate your visit today!

2. Gorgeous cars, I would have been hard pressed to leave that 427 beauty, I could easily use up an entire 16GB card on it alone. Those pipes….I can feel the rumble even now.

You just know it, Howard!! Actually, the day we did this shoot I brought along my laptop computer and kept dumping my memory card onto it. We came home with way over 1,000 frames that ended up being processed over a few weeks. It was a great experience both from the perspective of being able to enjoy these epic cars, as well as the great photography we enjoyed!! Many thanks for your visit here, my friend, that just means so much to us!

Toad, that middle 60s model 457 is one of my favorite cars of all time, especially when the top is off! As nice as the more modern Vette is, this is what I see as the Corvette! Nicely done my friend!

• avatar Jim Denham says:

Sorry, 427! I can’t read or type!

No worries at all Jim! We totally understand; we get pretty excited when we see that badge ourselves! I actually tend to morph into the language of a very excited three year old when I get around these cars. Seriously. Ask Mrs. Toad. 😀

Your sentiments are not unusual, Jim! Many folks consider this to be the primo generation for Corvettes. Hard to argue, really, when you consider the raw beauty and the power these beasts put down! For us, our favorite is the 4th generation, but we are totally prepared to admit we might be a tad bit biased. LOL 🙂 Many thanks for your kind visit today, my friend, we sure do appreciate it!

4. avatar Erin Duke says:

Gah. Gah. Gah!!!! I’m sorry, I couldn’t articulate words as I was drooling over these gorgeous cars. Vettes happen to be my favorite, and that 427? Ridiculously awesome. Le sigh, a girl can dream! 🙂

Oh, and nicely photographed as well! 🙂

LOL! What a great set of comments to share here, Erin, quite honestly I laughed aloud!! Thank you so, so much for taking the time my friend, we sure do appreciate it!

5. avatar Heather says:

This causes me pain. I don’t know which one I like more. They are both sexy! I think I would look good in the 2nd one 🙂

Heather, my dear friend, there is no doubt whatsoever you’d look good in BOTH of these cars!! 😀 Great comments, my friend!! LOL

Man those are sexy cars. I love the hood on the newer Vette.

Thanks so much Chris! That hood is really something else, eh? It’s subtle and yet it isn’t. I just love it, too!! Thanks so much for your visit today, we sure do appreciate it!

Very cool toys Toad. I love black cars too – my favorite car that I owned was a sleek black BMW M3. I loved that car and miss it. Can’t say that I have ever driven a Corvette so I can’t compare the ride.

Those M series BMW’s are awesome cars, no doubt about it! I can just picture your black one there, Len, that is a stand-out car. Many thanks for popping by today, and for leaving us your awesome comments, Len, we really do appreciate it!

8. avatar Adam Allegro says:

LOVE black cars. I have a red fiat right now taht I wish was black! Nice shots Toad, these all rock!

Thank you so, so much for your kind visit and comments here, Adam, that means so much to us!! Hope you get your black car soon, my friend!! 😀

Oh my goodness! I love black cars! I’ve only owned one black car and am reluctant to buy another. It was a nightmare to maintain, but boy when it’s shined up it looks amazing! That 427 engine is a beast! Those things suck the petrol like nobody’s business, but they make for fast cars! You can watch the gas gauge move when you floor those bad boys.

Good stuff Toad!

GREAT comments, Rick! All around!! Yep, my very rare Camaro Z/28 convertible I had years ago was black… I almost needed a second job to pay for the constant detailing!! The slightest dust particle used to drive me nuts… but man, these muscle cars in black look SO good!! Great comments about gas consumption, too, Rick, that may seem like an exaggeration, but somehow I am sure it’s spot on!! We don’t drive cars like this if we’re worried about gas mileage, that’s for sure! LOL

10. avatar Perry Bailey says:

Does that first one come with a British-accented voice that drives for you? Nice set, Toad!

HA! I wasn’t allowed to pilot it so I can’t effectively comment on your thoughts here Perry! 🙂 Thank you so much for taking the time to visit us, and for leaving your awesome comments here my friend, we really appreciate that!

Something tells me you’re really enjoying this assignment…LOL. Wonderful series of images Toad.

I’m surprised you were able to tell, Edith! LOL 😀 Many many kind thanks for taking the time to pop by and see us, and for leaving us your fabulous comments my friend, that really means so much!

Outstanding work on these, Toad. Black is a classy color that is tough to beat on a spanking clean car. Love that 1st Vette.

Thanks Jimi, your comments here are really great and they sure are appreciated!! It really means a lot to us coming from you, my friend!

13. avatar Lee Brown says:

Cool shots Toad! Looks like a fun time. I need to try and get to a show before the summer is out!

Thanks SO much, Lee! It was a real blast, the entire weekend was action packed and went by so very quickly! We really had a great time, it’s been a highlight of our year, that’s for sure. Thanks a ton for taking the time to pop by and leave us your great comments, my friend!

14. Stunning images of a stunning car. Seems almost insulting to just call the 427 a “car,” doesn’t it?

LOL! Well said, Steven! Indeed!! Thanks so much for taking the time to pop by and see us, and for leaving these awesome comments here!

15. Sweet images Toad, nothing like the 427 in those beasts!

We were lucky enough to watch and photograph this car at the slalom event on that Sunday.. you should have heard that car… wow! 🙂 Thanks for taking the time in the middle of all your wedding activities to swing by and say hi Mike, we sure do appreciate it!

man, id so roll that 427… Amazing shots man!

😀 Thank you so much Aaron, we sure do appreciate you taking the time to pop on by and for leaving us your great comments, my friend!

Great set. I am wishing for an audio file to go with these ….

That would be something else, now, wouldn’t it! 🙂 Good taste there, Ehpem. Sorry I missed your comments from last year, I have no idea why I didn’t get a notification! Regardless, we sure are grateful for your visit and kind comments my friend!

18. Wow Toad this is a great set of images! I love Corvettes and I love black cars! There is just something about a black car. I bet you were in 7th Heaven shooting this event!

It was almost bigger’n me, Michael, I can honestly tell you! It was a fabulous event, and indeed, I have such a blast running around photographing the cars and meeting the awesome folks who attended. Thank you so much for taking the time to come see us here, we sure do appreciate it!

19. What a great collection of cars, would love to photograph this lot.

Thanks SO MUCH Mark!! That really means an awful lot to us, coming from you! You, kind sir, have a standing invitation on the west coast of Canada should you guys ever make your way here, that’s for certain!!