The animals are always the first to sense when something is coming.  We’ve all seen video taken in the plains of Africa where a tree suddenly springs to life as thousands of birds fly away in panic.  Sometimes, though, a hunter approaches and no one sees or hears any form of a warning.

Last weekend was a long weekend here in Canada.  We’ve been working recently with the Victoria Corvette Club on Vancouver Island, BC, Canada, helping out with photography duties, and this all culminated in the “Vette to Victoria” event hosted here this weekend.  Three days of meeting new friends, hanging out at a fabulous car show, photographing a car rally and slalom event, and attending a wonderful banquet…  what more could a pair of Corvette fans ask for?

It all started Friday evening with a Meet & Greet and registration process for the upcoming events.  Mrs. Toad and I found our way to the Harbour Towers Hotel in Victoria where the reception and banquets were hosted.  Shortly after arriving we began what ultimately turned into a whirlwind weekend that saw us come home Sunday night with close to 1,000 frames to process.  We haven’t slept since, really…

Meet & Greet - Vette to Victoria - Victoria, BC, Canada

Meet & Greet - Vette to Victoria - Victoria, BC, Canada

After spending some time up at the reception, we were told that two levels of the underground parkade had been cordoned off to provide a safe home for the cars.  We grabbed our tripod and headed straight downstairs to try to capture a bit of the essence of the scene.  Given the thousands of horsepower that were parked here, standing in the underground parkade had a strange eerie feel to it…  it was so very quiet.  The walls had no idea the earthquake that was about to befall them the very next morning as these monsters lit up to start an action-packed affair.

Meet & Greet - Vette to Victoria - Victoria, BC, Canada

Meet & Greet - Vette to Victoria - Victoria, BC, Canada

We had visitors from far and wide.  A group came from the Simi Valley in California, which we understood was the furthest distance traveled to attend the event.  We also had people from Nevada, and from the prairie provinces here in Canada, as well.  Some of our Canadian friends were telling us of the harrowing journey they had on the way to Victoria.  Canada is well-known for extreme weather, even at the end of May, and these folks really hit every sort of weather phenomenon you could expect; including hail and snow.  Talk about being dedicated!

Meet & Greet - Vette to Victoria - Victoria, BC, Canada

Meet & Greet - Vette to Victoria - Victoria, BC, Canada

When it comes to car shows, particularly ones that have a concourse show and judging, no detail is too small.  Many of the attendees had their cars up on jacks as they cleaned and worked underneath, readying for the following days events and judging.  And after showing them, many of the visitors ran their Corvettes in various races.  Talk about “Show on Saturday, race on Sunday”!

Meet & Greet - Vette to Victoria - Victoria, BC, Canada

Meet & Greet - Vette to Victoria - Victoria, BC, Canada

As we wandered through the underground parking lot the sense of excitement was building.  Each generation of Corvette was represented, and some of them are exquisitely personalized.  The details in the paint under the hood of this car are something that is difficult to properly describe.  These are people who love their cars and the community they are part of, and it really shows.

Meet & Greet - Vette to Victoria - Victoria, BC, Canada

Meet & Greet - Vette to Victoria - Victoria, BC, Canada

People familiar with Corvettes know that they seriously lack in trunk space.  Necessity is the Mother of All Invention, and creative workarounds are really something special to see.  I can honestly say, this is the first Corvette I’ve ever seen in my life towing a custom trailer.

The entire weekend was a spectacle of wonder.  The show was bigger and better than expected, the weather held out for the most part, and everyone had a chance to share their car with the masses that came to watch.  A good time was had by all.

We still have around 300 pictures left to process before we’re complete.  Stay tuned as we roll out more blog posts featuring some of the truly wild rides that came to our quiet little island city.  And on that note, we’re just on our way out to try and see if we can find any birds…  the trees emptied Saturday morning and have been still since.

Get to those 300 man! What are you waiting on? Just kidding! Love Corvettes and these are some cool ones! Keep them coming guys!

Thank you, Jim!! That means an AWFUL lot to us coming from you, my friend!!

2. avatar Perry Bailey says:

Wow, two floors of Corvettes! It’s like a little corner of Nirvana. Great shots, Toad.

Thanks, Perry! I was like a proverbial kid in a candy store, that’s for sure! It was an awesome weekend, please stay tuned as we roll out more posts on this! Thanks for taking the time to pop by today and leave us your thoughts!!

What a great gig. That last corvette is a beauty.

It was a LOT of fun had by all, my friend! Thanks so much for your kind visit and comments here, Edith, we really appreciate it!

4. avatar Adam Allegro says:

These all look fantastic my friend. I am now jealous that I drive around in my little Fiat and these guys have these amazing machines! Awesome.

We LOVE Fiat’s Adam! But, regardless, thanks for taking the time to swing on by and see us here today, we really appreciate all your friendship & support!

5. I’m loving these great car images Toad. Keep ’em coming.

You bet, Steven, we’ll keep ’em coming as long as everyone enjoys them, that’s for sure! Thank you so very, very much for popping by and leaving us your comments today!!

6. avatar Jerry Denham says:

Toad I absolutely love it when you shoot these monsters. You catch both the power and beauty of these cars and present it with great descriptions and story telling. Great job!

7. avatar Chris Wray says:

Awesome rides! I look forward to seeing more of your Corvette photos in coming posts.

Thanks, Chris!! Man, we had so much fun doing this event, it was a real challenge to maintain my personal composure as all these cars rolled in!! Thanks for your visit and comments, my friend, much appreciated!

Man, love to speed through that place and hear the loud roar of the engine echo off the concrete walls!

HA! Great idea there, Aaron, come on up for a visit and we’ll take our ‘Vette underground there and let the hounds loose! 🙂 Many thanks for your kind visit and comments here, my friend, we sure do appreciate it!

9. avatar Jan Winther says:

LOL!!! You can not put a trailer behind a corvette, its just not right :). I have seen a Porche 911 pull a camping trailer – that was not a pretty sight either. I get it, there’s basically no trunk in these cars, but still, thats not what they were made for either.

Great shots Mr. Toad.

Jan, you crack me up, good sir! Necessity is the mother of invention, my fine friend! Many, many thanks for your wonderful visit and most entertaining comments!

10. avatar Fred Norris says:

Toad thanks for this behind the scenes preview of what must have been an incredible weekend.Wonderful of you to share mate!

Thank you, Fred, your kind visit, support and comments mean so much to us here! Much appreciated!! 😀

11. avatar Michael says:

Love these photos. Looking forward to the next 300. I agree with Jan, I don’t think its right for a Corvette to have a trailer.

Hi Michael, thanks so much for popping by and leaving us your comments! While a trailer is not something you would expect to see often hanging off the back of a Corvette like this, we personally admire the ingenuity that went into solving a particular problem. LOL 🙂 Many thanks for your kind visit and comments here, we really appreciate it!

12. The suspense to this series is incredible – well done!

You are so very kind with your comments here, Erik and Kathleen, thank you so much!! We really do appreciate it!

13. Popped on over from your other wordpress site…congrats! Looks like your new digs are even swankier. Love the post too 🙂

Thank you so much for your kind visit and support here! We really hope to see you again here at The Hollow, my friend! 🙂

Oh Wow! Fabulous cars and they look really good in the concrete jungle too. Can’t wait for the next bunch of cars, Toad.

Thank you so much, good sir! 🙂 Really really happy to see you pop by and enjoy the post, Andy, please do stay tuned, I think you’ll love what’s comin’ up!

Oh there some beautiful machinery there! Love that Black Z06! Just mean!

Nice taste in cars, Rick! Booya! You know it, my friend, that is one serious card-totin’ fast motorcar! Thanks so much for poppin’ by and leaving us your thoughts my friend, we sure do appreciate your support here!

Awesome toys here, Toad! So nicely captured and processed. These are great, man. Amazing machines!

Thank you SO much Jimi, we really had too much fun working this event! So happy to see that everyone is enjoying the images here!!

nice work Toad, bet you enjoyed that!!

We haven’t stopped smiling yet, Jim! 🙂 Thanks ever so kindly for your visit and comments here this morning, my fine friend, we sure do appreciate it!

18. I get the feeling you like cars Toady! I must say that the work well with HDR!

When I reread this post, I can see why you might get that idea!! 🙂 Thanks so much for your visit and comments here today, Mark, we sure do appreciate it!

19. Nice writeup and images! The smell of all the high octane in the air must have been exhilarating! 🙂

Indeed, my good friend, it WAS! It was a truly magical weekend that had me grinnin’ from ear-to-ear! Thanks for your visit and comments, Michael, we sure do appreciate it!