A Barn By The Lake

Posted: 16th January 2012 by ToadHollowPhoto in Photography
Tags: , , , , , , ,

Life on the West Coast of Canada is absolutely distinctive.  Even with our history only going back a little more than 100 years we’ve still managed to create a lifestyle that is unique, and this is mirrored back in our surroundings and architecture.  We love Vancouver Island with all our heart, and we truly love sharing this with everyone here at The Hollow.

As winter was approaching Mrs. Toad and I took off one Sunday for one of our patented “explorations”.  This is usually accompanied by a wonderful lunch and the best discussions a Toad could ever hope to have with such a lovely companion in life as I have in Mrs. Toad.  I am lucky and blessed beyond words, my friends.

Barn - Vancouver Island, BC, Canada

Barn – Vancouver Island, BC, Canada

After a perfectly wonderful lunch, we took off in pursuit of photographic opportunities.  Every time I pose the question “gee, do you think we’ll ever run out of great stuff to photograph?” we seem to always come around a corner to find a scene like this.

This beautiful barn sits on the shores of Lake Cowichan in a little town.  On this day, the ground was hard and frosty.  But we still get a peek at the lake just behind the barn, which poses a striking figure on the landscape nestled in amongst these grand and old trees.  We were immediately struck with the image in front of us, with the horses deciding if they ought to come outside for the afternoon, or if they’d be better off staying inside.  The feeling in our fingers was starting to wane as the cold really took hold, yet the surroundings were so wonderful we pressed on anyways.

House - Vancouver Island, BC, Canada

House – Vancouver Island, BC, Canada

As we turned to look up the country road, we saw a character home peeking out above the vegetation.  Quite a few of the plants are still rather green, although they do look rather chilly with their cloaks of frost.  Even in the dead of winter, there is plenty of color to take in and enjoy on the island.  The lovely light as it draped across the front of the house was really spectacular and drew us closer for a more detailed look.

House - Vancouver Island, BC, Canada

House – Vancouver Island, BC, Canada

As we came across the clearing by the road, the beauty and character of the home began to reveal itself.  The lovely siding in its brightly colored paint really stood out, and the longer you spend taking the scene in the more the abundant textures make themselves evident.  A typical little house on Vancouver Island, just beckoning the visitor to come in and sit for a bit by the fire.  We really fell in love with the incredible light on the front porch, almost creating a happy and welcoming feel to the place as we stood taking it all in.

This, my friends, is a typical day on the island.  But make no mistake, there is nothing really typical about life here.  I think one of the things that captivates me personally so very much about photography is the ability the craft gives us to share scenes and views from the world that we live in with a wider audience.  I feel as if I’ve traveled the world this year through the work of others, and it fills us with joy to have a chance to give back to the community we’ve found ourselves immersed in…  both locally and online with our friends and fans.  And for that, we’re truly grateful and appreciative.

Thanks ever so kindly for your visit today, please feel free to leave us any comments you may have as we love to hear from all our visitors!

1. avatar Jerry Denham says:

Thanks for the peek on your island Toad. Love that barn and the textures on the home. Great job my friend.

Wonderful images Toad. I really like the color of the house in th least image and I see you snuck in some horses in the first one. Your love for Vancouver Island comes through your write-up. Greatr as usual.

What a beautiful place you’ve displayed Toads – love both the house and the barn. Both look so much like a home more than the cookie cutter homes we see on a daily basis in midwest suburbia. Very well done!

4. avatar Fred Norris says:

Blimey Toad you have captured some amazing scenes here.How lucky you are to live around so many great little villages!

5. What a great find Toad. Wonderful images but I particularly like the barn with the horse looking out. Just wonderful.

Toad – you make me want to go on a road trip. Its a while since I was on Lake Cowichan, and usually I am driving through on my way to Bamfield or other points west. I must slow down and poke around. Very nice photos. I love that horse in the distance, as if it is aware you are up to something and having a bit of a look to make sure it does not involve carrots.

As always, great story telling with some equally good images. We wished we could have spent more time on Vancouver Island when we drove the length of it about 15 years ago, but the trouble with a ‘touring’ holiday is you’re always hurrying to the next stopover and although you get to a lot of places you never seen anywhere in detail. The joy of being part of the blogging community is the way I get to see places from all over the world – especially N America – and surprisingly often places I’ve been to and enjoy viewing again through someone else’s eyes. What you say in your last but one paragraph is so true.

8. Really nice set of shots here. Another new post, and another interesting place you’ve discovered. You should write a travel guide for Vancouver Island.

9. agree with the above – lovely set of images. What a lovely place you live in!

You got the horses and everything! :)

wow Toad that looks like such an incredible place, great series of shots my friend!

Wonderful set of images. You live in such a fabulous place!

13. avatar Rachel Cohen says:

What a lovely day, and a fantastic find, especially the final image of the wood shingled house! Reminds me of houses on Cape Cod! Awesome images and post as always my friend! :)

14. Great storyline to go with these beautiful images! I love the picture of the barn and horses. The lake makes the perfect backdrop. Such a peaceful setting!

15. avatar Mike says:

Barns, old homes, lakes, water ,trees…..You’re speaking my language. And may I add that you’re speaking it very well!!

Photomatix Pro