We’ve got a literal parking lot full of trucks to look at today, folks!  We really love all things mechanical here at The Hollow, and in particular we love antique things.  During the summer of 2011, we had a chance to spend the day with our best friends, the Mudpuppies, at the BC Forest Discovery Centre, and we came home with a bag just full of images to share with everyone.  Please feel free to check out the entire series “The Toad’s Tonka Toys” to see the previous posts in this set.

Without any further ado, let’s get to the pictures!

Logging Truck - BC Forest Discovery Centre, Duncan, BC, Canada

One of the first trucks we encountered after the train ride to the central display area at the facility was this gem here.  No markings were readily evident, so we were unable to tell what type of unit this was, but we DID discover that it was pretty great!  Years spent deep in the forests on Vancouver Island servicing the logging industry have taken their toll somewhat on the appearance, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder and we thought it was absolutely gorgeous.

Logging Truck - BC Forest Discovery Centre, Duncan, BC, Canada

What did surprise me was the way the trailer connected to the semi, via one big and long log.  It goes to show how strong wood truly is, fully loaded this rig would have weighed tons.  And yet, the coupler is a big log!  Steel work at the time was readily available, as evidenced by the chassis design, so the use of the log was a conscious decision that was made for a reason.  This image really tells a story to me, of what I’m not entirely sure, but the story is there.

Logging Truck - BC Forest Discovery Centre, Duncan, BC, Canada

Nearby sits a covered area that is home to several great rigs.  Mr. Mudpuppy and I believe this structure is designed to house these units due to them being rather rare.  This particular truck is a piece of utilitarian wonder.  No surface is there to produce any form of aesthetic interest, the entire vehicle is designed from the ground up to do a job, and to do it well.  Again we find that years of service deep in the forest has resulted in a ton of rust coming out, but to us this just adds character.

Logging Truck - BC Forest Discovery Centre, Duncan, BC, Canada

In these two images of the back of the truck, we really get a strong sense of the textures that have emerged over the years from the rust taking hold.  We can almost feel this texture in the wheels in these photographs, but we also have no doubt that structurally these wheels could be put into action today and would be absolutely fine.

Logging Truck - BC Forest Discovery Centre, Duncan, BC, Canada

And our final truck for today’s post is the fabulous old Pacific Diesel unit.  Once again, we find incredible textures here in both the weathered paint and the rust.  This truck looks like it was designed in the late 50’s or 60’s to me based on the front headlight and grill design.  I love these old classic trucks, there are wonderful lines in the body and design to take in.

Well, that’ s wrap for this post, folks, thanks so much for popping by!  Please feel free to leave us any comments you may have as we truly love to hear from all our visitors!

the Toad does love his trucks, and I love to look at your photos of them! great series Toad, great processing and looks like a heck of a place to wander with a camera!

• Thanks so kindly, Jim, that really means a lot to us! It IS a great place to visit! If ever you come for a visit, we’ll head on over, there are countless photography opportunities there and I think you’d love it! We really appreciate your visit and support my friend, thank you!

2. You’ve chosen some of my favorite subjects Toad. I love how the peeling paint, rust and textures, on these antique vehicles, fill each frame. It would have been hard to leave this photographer’s mecca! The grills also fascinate me and really add to the personality and individual character of these beauties.

3. Great work Toad. Love all the details and textures. I really love the last image…wonderful colors.

Great series of images Toad. Love the colors, textures and all-around grittiness to them. I know you love your toys and it definitely shows.

5. Great set of shots my friend. So much texture, so little time. Must have been hard to leave.

• It was brutal, not to mention that I filled my memory card to the rafters and had to delete some less important captures to make room for the last pieces we found! Thank you so much for you kind words of support and friendship Steven, it really means so much to us!

I love all the crazy things you Toads find. That green truck is my favorite. Keep up the great work!

Looks like Toad found some cool trucks to love. I hope they treat him well.

Sweet shots man! 🙂

8. avatar Chris Wray says:

Great series, Toad! HDR is a great technique for capturing rich texture and color!

That last image is the winner in my book – real character in that truck. As always a great write up.

10. avatar Fred Norris says:

Nice job Toad!I love these old road warriors,you really highlight the rusty character in these beasts mate.

Toad, once again you excel! These are really great shots. I have not been up to that museum for a few years – used to go when the kids were younger. It is a terrific place to wander around, and to picnic.

You might want to check out the Saanich Historical Artifacts Society sometime when they have their steam engines fired up. Father’s day is a good time to visit. Having said that, you probably already have and there probably are a bunch of your photos of it online somewhere 🙂 You seem one step ahead of me where ever I go. Which is great, gives me a standard to aspire to.

• Oh wow, my friend, thank you SO much for your kind visit & comments here, we truly appreciate that! Nope, can’t say I’ve ever been out to the Saanich Historical Artifacts Society before.. is that the facility on the Pat Bay Highway? I will have to make myself a reminder for June to head on over for a shoot! That is, unless of course you get there first, my friend!! 🙂 You are really so kind to us, my friend, we really do appreciate it!

• avatar ehpem says:

That is the one. I think its totally your kind of place. You can visit other times – see their website for hours and a sense of what is hidden from view in the woods: http://shas.ca/,
        During an event like on Father’s day all the model steam trains (rideable) and old steam engines and tractors and the black smith shop and steam powered saw mill and so on are in action. But there are lots of people visiting as well, which might “clutter” a shot. Entry fee is very reasonable (great place to take family) and lots of cool stuff to look at. Easy to do multiple shoots and far more than enough for lots of photographers to share without stepping on each others’ toes 🙂

• Oh hey, that’s fabulous, thanks so much for taking the time to leave us this great info! I like places that can keep us photogs busy like that… it usually takes me a few weeks to process everything we come back with. Gosh, my friend, it’s just so great to hook up with you here on the blog and share this stuff, I just love it! 😀

12. peeling paint, trucks and rust whats not to like – great HDR Toad!