As we find ourselves amidst the holiday season, enjoying the company of family and friends, I also find this to be a time to reflect and look forward.  Today’s post is a continuation of our running photoblog series “The Antiques Toad Show“, and although it may be a tad bit brief it is truly meaningful.

At times I tend to be a reflective Toad…  I love to look back and recognize the milestones and landmarks that have passed under our flippers over the course of the year, and to look forward to the things are coming.  It’s going to be a very exciting and busy 2012 for us here at The Hollow, and the next little while might find us more sporadic than usual in our activities due to a complex move that is currently underway.  The move will culminate in a new office with wonderful surroundings, something I am truly looking forward to.  Mrs. Toad and myself also find ourselves busy in our personal projects, and all signs point to great successes and wonderful experiences and adventures for the coming year.

As we find ourselves back at the Metchosin Pioneer Museum once again today, we are going to take a look at a single image.  One that is full of emotion and wonder, one that really speaks of a time now past and the hope for the future.

Tiny Boots - Metchosin Pioneer Museum, Vancouver Island, BC, Canada

Tiny Boots - Metchosin Pioneer Museum, Vancouver Island, BC, Canada

We encountered these little boots on our museum visit where our best friends The Mudpuppies and their Dad, The Curator, allowed us complete access to the facility off hours.  These were a wonderful find.

Given the age of these little boots, they are in remarkable condition.  Wear and weathering are all evident, contributing to the overall character that creates this scene.

Who was the little person who once owned and wore these little boots?  Where are they now?  Was life all it could be for them?  These are all questions we ask ourselves in some manner as we go about our busy modern lives.

Today we’re surrounded by cell phones, satellite TV, game systems, computers, cars that almost drive themselves…  these are much more complex times.  Back when these boots were new, there were no modern conveniences, there were no TV’s or game systems to entertain the little ones…  no, rather, they relied on being surrounded by family and friends, and used to pass the time playing outside or reading.  And they would dream of their future.  The family they will find and build together, the jobs they will eventually have.

When I was a little tadpole, I used to dream of things now long forgotten…  but those dreams all were the foundation of the life I have built here.  And a wonderful life it truly is.

So, as the year wraps up and I find myself reflective once again, much like the little one who once owned these boots, I look forward to the new year and all the adventures and excitement it will bring.  Here at The Hollow we hope that the same is true for you, we wish you a year filled with wonder and hope and love and excitement.

Thank you ever so kindly for your visit today, we really appreciate it.  Please do feel free to leave us any comments you may have as we truly love to hear from all our visitors.  We’ve got a lot more to come from the Pioneer Museum in Metchosin, so if you are enjoying this series we welcome you to stay tuned.

Happy New Year to the Toads. Best wishes for all your endeavours.

HDR works well for these kind of artifact shots, loads of detail, nothing lost in shadows.

2. avatar Curt Fleenor says:

Good luck with your move and all endeavors in 2012!

3. Happy New Year to both you and Mrs. Toad. Good luck with your move and may 2012 bring everything you wish for. Wonderful post Toad and I love this shot and the detail you’ve brought out.

Amazing how a single image can contain so much story! Well done, Toad! May all the Toads have a Joyous and Peaceful New Year!

5. avatar Lee Brown says:

Nice post Toad. Happy holidays and all the best in 2012!

Man, what a great post Toads. Love these little boots and the stories they could tell!

7. avatar ChrisdMRF says:

Great post as usual toad. Sometimes it’s the little things that make all the difference and you have managed to make a small subject evoke so much.

8. Wonderful image and narrative Toad. Love the different color shoe laces! I want to wish you and Mrs. Toad a very happy, healthy New Year, with everything for the best in your future. It’s been a pleasure to share your adventures and insights this year; thanks for being you, Toad. Hugs.

• Many many hugs in return, Barbara, from both of us! Thank you ever so kindly for all your friendship & support here at The Hollow, it would not be the same without you my dear friend! Best wishes to you and your family.

Great shot Toad. Well written too. I am hoping the move goes well and that 2012 brings you as much joy and excitement as surely 2011 did. Happy New Year!

10. Beautiful image and thoughts, Toad. Merry Christmas and Happy new Year.

Great post – there’s a story behind even the simplest of images, and you paint it well with the image and your words. My very best wishes to you and Mrs Toad for 2012. All the best with the Move – one of the more stressful events of life.

• Very, very kind of you good sir, thank you! Thankfully this move is for the company I work for and we’ve got a team of folks taking care of much of it. It won’t be pleasant, but it won’t be that bad, either. My new office is going to be stellar and I am looking forward to some of the perks that are going to come with this move.

At any rate, kind sir, best wishes to you and your family for the New Year! Have a great trip in January, and both Mrs. Toad and I are very much looking forward to continuing our friendship with you in the new year.

12. Lovely photo and thought-provoking post. Happy holidays, and best of luck with your new endeavors in 2012.

13. Thoughtful parting words, Toad, as we say goodbye to 2011. Thanks for your many photographic and essay contributions during this past year. I look forward to seeing what new images and thoughts you share in the coming year. Wishing you and Mrs. Toad all great things in 2012. Happy New Year, my good friend.