Have you ever taken a bath before and immediately thought “wow, I think I need a bath!”? Prepare to meet our latest find, an old rusty tub. Today we are back at the Metchosin Pioneer Museum that our best friends Dad, The Curator, gave us full access to after hours. You should have seen me, trying to cram about 40 hours worth of photography into 3. To say I was hoppin’ around like crazy would be a massive understatement.

We’re continuing our running series “The Antiques Toad Show” of posts that are a result of this photo-shoot, just in case you’re joining us today.  Please feel free to check out some of the previous entries if you haven’t seen them already.

Old Tub - Metchosin Pioneer Museum, Vancouver Island, BC, Canada

Old Tub - Metchosin Pioneer Museum, Vancouver Island, BC, Canada

At first glance, we’ve got ourselves a classic claw-foot tub of sorts.  A little lacking on the decorative side of things, but no lack of texture and interest to take in.  This tub was located in the upstairs storage area, a place that we are sure most folks never get to see.  We found so many fabulous artifacts up here, and although the display may be short of pizzazz, the items themselves stole the show.

Old Tub - Metchosin Pioneer Museum, Vancouver Island, BC, Canada

Old Tub - Metchosin Pioneer Museum, Vancouver Island, BC, Canada

I am rather certain the wood tray in the tub is meant to perform some form of a “comfort task”, but all I can think of is splinters in my back-side.  In this image, we can see clearly the level of texture and rust that is evident in the tub now; also known as “elements of massive interest” to yours truly, the Toad.

As I sit here typing this post out to share with everyone, I find myself humming a new tune I just penned.  “Rub a dub dub, three splinters in a tub…”  Perhaps not a poetic or melodic as some works by the masters, it did make me smile.  I just checked my answering machine for a message from a major recording label, but alas, all it quiet.  Perhaps I’ll stick to photography for the time being…

Old Tub - Metchosin Pioneer Museum, Vancouver Island, BC, Canada

Old Tub - Metchosin Pioneer Museum, Vancouver Island, BC, Canada

In this image, we get a clear view of the holes; both around the taps and surrounding the drain hole itself.  Was this the work of an insane plumber, or has Mother Nature showed us who really is boss once again?  I just love this picture for some reason.  You can almost feel the textures in the steel tub, and there is so much detail to take in and enjoy.

We’ve still got so very many images to share with everyone from the Metchosin Pioneer Museum, so if you’re enjoying the series we encourage you to please stay tuned!  We found that each item, each artifact, had a story to share with us.  It meant so much to have the chance to tour the facility without any other visitors, allowing us to focus on the special story and meaning behind every item we had the time to photograph.  It was a really enchanted day, and we’re thrilled to have the opportunity to share it with you.

Please feel free to leave us any comments you may have, we love to hear from all our visitors!  And once again, thank you ever so kindly for your visit and support here, it really means so much to us.

1. avatar newd7000user says:

“Rub a dub dub, three splinters in a tub…” I’d buy that song 😉

Great textures, I’m always drawn to rust like a moth to a flame. I’m looking forward to more.

• Thank you so very kindly my friend! I am working on our first big production CD and that song will be our first single! I’ll be sure to get you an advance copy! LOL We really appreciate all your kindness & support here! 🙂

Other than the holes, Idon’t see too much wrong with it. Seriously, doesn’t your tub look like that? Nice work Toads! You guys rock!

3. Only you can make a post about a bathtub interesting Toad…LOL. Love the images and the textures you’ve brought out. Really well done.

4. avatar Alexandra says:

I think that’s a very interesting case when something so unappealing becomes absolutely beautiful in photos.

Hi Toad – great job on documenting this tub – it is a suitable museum piece, one can’t image too many of them surviving anywhere, no matter what condition, and yet I bet there were lots of them out there in logging camps or on homesteads.

When we moved into our current house the enamel on the bath tub had worn into something equivalent to 80 grit sand paper. If you shifted too fast in the tub, it scoured off several layers of skin, causing bleeding. I think this explains the wood in your example – better a few splinters than “backside bathrash” – equivalent to road rash, except its clean.

• Ooof, I never thought of that Ehpem, but I now have a whole new visual to work on here! LOL What a thing to have to go through, to have a bath. Thank you so very much for all your support and kindness, my friend, it really means so much to us!

6. avatar Fred Norris says:

I loved 3 Toads in a Rusty Tub….great story and amazing images mate,thanks for sharing!

7. avatar ChrisdMRF says:

Great post Toad. Love that tub dude. Hope you guys have a good holiday

8. The texture and detail is just fantastic! Only you can take an old rusty thing like this, and turn it into a photographic work of art! Looking forward to seeing more!

9. avatar Rachel Cohen says:

Wow Toad, this is great! What a wonderful post, and that image is fantastic, I really could nearly feel the texture, and rust, very cool! I loved your comment about “insane plumber” LOL!

I love old tubs like that. I dunno if I’d want to try and salvage that one, but it sure looks cool. I hope you showered in a clean tub after this expedition!

• Thank you so much Chris! Yeh, I suspect this particular one needs a bit too much “refurbishment” to get it operational again, but it DOES make for a fabulous photography subject! Thank you for the visit and comments, my friend!

11. avatar Rick says:

I can’t get the image of splinters in your back-side now! Way to make a bath tub interesting!

LOL! nice bit of humour Toad. You get more than a wash, a skin peel as well, if you shift around a bit too much in this.

Amazing details and textures Toad. I can almost feel the grit. Wonderfully captures and a great story, as usual. Have a wonderful holiday season, my friends.

14. avatar Adam Allegro says:

I think I need a tetanus shot just browsing these pictures 🙂 Well done buddy.

15. avatar tony says:

never though a bathtub picture could sound so interesting, till i read your comments…..