Sunday Afternoon At The Marina

Posted: 29th July 2011 by ToadHollowPhoto in Photography
Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

Just down the road from where we live sits this wonderful little bay.  Genoa Bay is only accessible via one road, and it’s a twisty, tiny, narrow road that is not often traveled.  Genoa Bay sits in the Cowichan Valley, on Vancouver Island, BC, Canada.  Surrounded by both incredible ocean scenery as well as gorgeous mountains, this marina is truly a peaceful place nestled into a small and hidden bay.

Mrs. Toad and myself made a journey out to the marina the other weekend, and it was a sunny and beautiful day.  A perfect day for photographing nautical things.  We had been by the marina previously, and I had scouted out the scene we’re going to share with everyone today, but the light was awful and it was raining to beat the band, so I just tucked the image away in my head until we had time and weather to do it up proper.

Genoa Bay Marina - Cowichan Valley, BC, Canada

Genoa Bay Marina - Cowichan Valley, BC, Canada

Living on the West Coast of Canada, we see a lot of wooden things; homes, boats, art, you name it, we make it in wood.  It really adds so much character to the area, and the rich tones of nicely done woodworking really add a dash of warmth to a scene.  This classic wooden boat is a masterpiece, and the paint colors help to create a colorful and inviting scene to take in.  It is parked up against what we believe to be a houseboat.  During the warm months, I cannot imagine a better lifestyle to be enjoyed.

Genoa Bay Marina - Cowichan Valley, BC, Canada

Genoa Bay Marina - Cowichan Valley, BC, Canada

Should we go for a ride in the boat?  Should we sit on our Adirondack chairs on our deck; made of wood, of course?  These are some of the tough choices folks who live here must be faced with on a daily basis.  I can’t imagine having to make such decisions.  In this profile shot, we can really take in some of the incredible details evident in the boat and the floating home to which its attached.  It’s the small imperfections, all created by the handiwork of a master carpenter, that really bring home the character of this scene for us to enjoy.  I even love the little wooden white and green skiff tied up alongside it’s larger companion.

Genoa Bay Marina - Cowichan Valley, BC, Canada

Genoa Bay Marina - Cowichan Valley, BC, Canada

In this shot taken from the dock across from the previous images, we take a closer look at the float-home.  Our beloved wooden boat peeks it’s nose out at us just behind the facade we look at here.  The doors in this shot with the custom touches and stained glass really exemplify island living, and more specifically marina living.  These scenes are so very unique and special to us to take in and enjoy, but to the folks who live here this is the world they see each and every day.  I often wonder what it must be like…

Thanks so much for your kind visit today, we really appreciate it!  Please feel free to leave us some comments as we truly love to hear from all our visitors!!

1. Gotta love all things wood, and that stained glass is gorgeous. Great details. Nicely done!

I love the marinas in your area as they are always so dang colorful and pleasing to the eye. I do wonder, as well, what it must be like to wake up everyday with that gorgeous scene right out your door.

• Thanks Chris, that means a lot to us up here! When we make our first million and buy one of these gorgeous units, you are very much invited up to check it out firsthand!!… who knows, we might even get some time to enjoy a beer and take a few pictures, too! 🙂 Thanks so much for your wonderful visit, my friend!

3. avatar Fred Norris says:

Beautiful scene,nicely captured once again by the Toads.It looks like your timing was spot on mate!It reminds me of some of the small marinas back home like Clovelly North Devon ,you really bring back some great memories with your images.Your blog continues to provide outstanding galleries with entertaining and informative storylines.

• Fred, it’s always a BIG joy to see you pop ’round these parts! Thanks ever so kindly! We sure do find joy in knowing that we’ve somehow reminded you of your home, far far away. After all, this is what the spirit of photography is all about!!

4. avatar Jose Vazquez says:

It looks so beautiful and relaxing there. I was able to enjoy a bit of this when I was out there island hopping, especially at Saltspring Island. Love the colors and textures in that second shot.

• Thank you so very, very much Jose, it’s such an honor to read your comments here today! With your experience on Saltspring Island (a famous spot out here on the west coast for sure) it’s so great to know that we’ve been so close to each other and enjoying our surroundings and photography! Thanks so much for your kind visit, it’s much appreciated!

5. avatar Cindi says:

Lovely photos. I wish I could decide between sitting on the deck in the Adirondack chairs or taking a boat ride. You know, I say both! Sounds wonderful!

• Well, Cindi, I love how you’ve managed to find the ultimate solution to the ultimate problem! Great idea, there’s no way we can argue this. Thank you SO much for your kind visit and taking the time to leave us these great comments today, it means a lot to us!

6. avatar Cathy Ross says:

The water is making me feel very refreshed on this hot, balmy humid evening in Michigan! Beautiful images and gorgeous colors!

• Thanks Cathy, that awfully kind of you my friend! Sit a spell and cool off, I know it’s been a super hot and humid summer for you guys back east there. You’re all in our thoughts and prayers, that’s for sure my friend. Thanks so much for popping by!

7. avatar jimdenham says:

Looks like everything could float with all of that wood! This place has character Toads and I appreciate you sharing it with us!

8. fantastic images…love the natural color scheme and textures of the scene…very quaint & inviting…terrific work!

9. avatar Chessa! says:

I love this part of Canada. I was there with my family over 10 years ago and you’ve captured exactly what I remember about the place…the beautiful, rich colors! and looking at these I can almost feel the crispness of the air.

• Gosh, that’s really awesome of you to say, thanks for these fabulous comments! It’s still the same, so if ever you get a chance to pop out this way again, please let us know and we’ll show you around! Many thanks for your kind visit today!

10. avatar Jerry Denham says:

Incredible images and post Toad. I agree with your analogy of wooden things. The grain in wood is fantastic and your reflections just give it POP. Really love sneaking the Yamaha outboard in the first shot. They pay the bills, so any help is appreciated. 🙂

• We sure did the Yamaha thing on purpose for you there, Jerry! LOL Awesome stuff, I really liked the added interest the boat motor brought the image, personally. Thank you so much for your kind visit my friend!!

11. Simply beautiful. Your photographs really bring out the character of the place.

So much going on in the way the buildings are built around you man. Love that little red boat too.

Very colorful images, Toad. Lots to see too. nicely done, my friend. 🙂

I just love all the colors here Toad, such a visual treat!