Welcome back to The Hollow today, folks, thanks for your visit!  We still have plenty more photos to share with everyone from the Antique Truck Show that was recently held here on Vancouver Island, but for today we thought we’d park the trucks and take a look at some rural shots we captured in the Genoa Bay area of the Cowichan Valley.  Farms and barns are a subject of extreme interest to us here, one day we hope to create a coffee table book of old barns from Vancouver Island.  In the meantime, we build upon our collection and today’s photoblog post takes a quick look at a wonderful farm.

Farm - Genoa Bay, BC, Canada

Farm – Genoa Bay, BC, Canada

Mrs. Toad and I bought our 110+ year old farmhouse in the Cowichan Valley a little over 3 years ago now…  boy, how time flies.  As we explore the Cowichan Valley, on Vancouver Island, BC, Canada, we keep finding these hidden treasures.  Vancouver Island itself is only recently inhabited and developed in accordance with world standards; we’re really only a little over 100 years old here.  The early settlers staked out wonderful tracts of land and set about building farms and businesses on them.  Some of these farms have hundreds and hundreds of acres of rolling hills, mountains, fields, streams and ocean access.  This barn sits on one such farm and has been on my “must photograph” list for quite some time, so we were thrilled to finally get a chance.  This weathered barn sits on a huge farm on a tip of a jutting piece of land in the valley, and this entire area isn’t traveled or visited very much.  There is one way in and out from here, and if you are driving the speed limit, you probably would drive right past this gem and not even notice it.

Farm - Genoa Bay, BC, Canada

Farm – Genoa Bay, BC, Canada

A few feet further down the road and we get a different look at the same farm.  Here we can see some partitioned fields and the rolling mountains in the distance.  The entire area is absolutely breathtaking in terms of its natural beauty and presents a plethora of wonderful subjects to photograph.  On the day we shot these images, we were down the road further at this quaint little marina called Genoa Bay, and we’ve got a series of marine images to share with everyone from that shoot coming up here in the near future.

Thanks so much for your visit today, we really appreciate it.  We always encourage everyone to leave us some comments as we truly love to hear from all our visitors.  Here’s hoping everyone has a wonderful day today, and once again thanks for popping by!

1. avatar Jose Vazquez says:

Absolutely love this Toad! Nothing like some rustic beauty nestled in the woods.

2. avatar Jason Hines says:

Love that peek-a-boo action you have going on in the first shot!

3. Love how this structure is tucked away and framed by the trees; your composition really adds to the allure. You’ve really preserved the rustic feeling of this scene through your processing Toad. I particularly like the patch of moss on the roof!

4. avatar bercton says:

Lovely environment and beautiful photos!

5. avatar Dave DiCello says:

So well composed my friend, a wonderful series!

6. Absolutely fantastic. I always love your work; it’s inspirational and amazing. Thanks for being you! :)

• Oh my, we’re blushing a bit here today! What a wonderful and kind thing to say, that’s so awesome of you my friend! It’s always a real highlight of our day when you’ve been by, thank you for taking the time to swing on over and leave us these absolutely wonderful comments!!!!!! :D

love the rural scenes here Toad, so serene and beautiful!

You have a knack for the barns man I’m telling ya. Really nice.

I can only imagine kids running around and playing in that barn, just like I used to do as a kid. Very nice little find her man.

• Thank you so much, Chris, that’s so awfully kind of you, my friend! We sure do appreciate you sharing this with us, it’s nice to know a little about you like this. Awesome stuff, my friend, thank you!

10. avatar Cathy Ross says:

I really love the country shots in your beautiful corner of the world! and just for the record…I adore your sense of humor…your note on my blog got a big chuckle out of me! Thanks so much for your friendship!

• Most excellent, Cathy, anytime we can make you smile, we consider this to be a wonderful day, indeed!! We really appreciate your friendship as well, my friend. Many sincere thanks for your visit here today and for taking the time to leave such wonderful comments for us!

11. avatar Bob Lussier says:

Great stuff, Scotty! I’m falling in love with your little corner of the world!

12. avatar jimdenham says:

The barns are great, but I am more interested in the trees totally surrounding them. Great place you live in there Toads!

• Jim, you’re the first to mention this, thank you my friend! It really is a special place, I can tell you this. One blink of an eye as you drive along this twisty little country backroad and you’d surely miss this gem! We sure do appreciate your kind visit today, my friend, thank you!

13. avatar Mike says:

These are speaking my language!! Thanks for the fabulous shots that include evergreenery! (Is that even a word?) I would love to get lost there and just walk around at a snail’s pace to see what I can discover!!

Photomatix Pro