We continue our photoblog series, “The Toad Visits Chemainus“, today with a slight change in tempo here.  Our running series of images taken in the little town of Chemainus, BC on Vancouver Island in Canada has so far showcased some of the beautiful and quaint homes and businesses in the tiny community.  Today we are going to take a slight departure from this theme and take a look at an abandoned store smack dab in the middle of the residential area.

Abandoned Business - Chemainus BC Canada

Abandoned Business - Chemainus BC Canada

As you have seen from our previous posts on this series, the town is full of rich and quaint character.  Needless to say, we were a little surprised to come across this building during our adventure.  It still maintains some of the architectural and styling cues from the typical structures in town, but the boarded up facade and color combinations selected for the exterior here put this building into its own category.

When we scrutinized this scene a little, we realized the blue sections here were put up to cover up signs and other elements.  The blue paint was applied after the panels were affixed to the building.  The color combination and general appearance here did not really fit in with the rest of the surrounding structures, and this building definitely stands out.

Abandoned Business - Chemainus BC Canada

Abandoned Business - Chemainus BC Canada

As we come around the side of the building a few things come into focus for us.  To start with, the doors on the side of the building here are, um, unique.  The one door there has its cat door intact; I have a hard time imagining any pussy-cats roaming about this place…  mind you, there might be delicious mice to be found inside, you just never know.  The second door here is peeling and fading, and provides a secondary point of interest to the overall setting.

Abandoned Business - Chemainus BC Canada

Abandoned Business - Chemainus BC Canada

This shot is the gem from today’s set, though.  As we come around the back of the building we find this little abode.  Completely boarded up and long abandoned, this little 2 or 3 room building appears to have been someone’s house at one point or another.  The BBQ sits out front, patiently waiting for a few trucks full of people brandishing packages of burgers and ribs to roll into the driveway… yet only the grass moves with the faint sounds of the wind in the nearby trees.  It’s been a while since anyone hosted a get-together here, we suspect.

We sure hope you’ve been enjoying this series, please do stay tuned we’ve got a fabulous wrap-up coming tomorrow!  As always, we welcome and encourage everyone to leave us some comments as we truly love to hear from all our visitors.

Nice shots Toad. The title made me laugh a bit. I have to ask this though, is every building by you so bright and lively? 🙂

• Hiya there Aaron, thanks so much for your wonderful comments here today! Well, no, not all our buildings are so interesting, that’s for sure; but I do seem to have a bit of a knack for finding the ones that ARE! 🙂 Really appreciate you popping by today, my friend!

Definitely enjoying the series Toad. Interesting about the boards covering the signs. I feel like I know this little town. Looking forward to more.

great find Toad, and great colors as usual, well shot my friend!

4. avatar Jimmy Denham says:

A total departure from those previous in the series. That little house was likely sharp in its day, though! Great series Toads!

• Thank you very very much Jim, we really appreciate that! Yep, this is a slight change from the previous posts this week; we like to think we keep everyone on their toes ’round these parts. LOL Thank you SO much for your visit my friend!

5. avatar Heather says:

Crazy how this is the same town! Awesome captures though 🙂

• I wasn’t sure whether to even share this with everyone, but the town is a little of this and that, and if we’re to show it properly we’ve got to show this too I guess. Really glad to see you pop by here today Heather, we sure do appreciate that!

6. What a strange structure Toad! It just doesn’t fit in this charming village that you’ve portrayed so beautifully. Are we going to have to sign a petition to have this building renovated or . . .
    I find it very interesting, and appreciate, that you share all aspects of your travels; the beautiful and the not-so beautiful. Such honest story telling.

• Something most CERTAINLY needs to change here, Barbara, no doubt. Yeh, like I said a little bit back there, I wasn’t sure whether to post this set or not today, but it does make up part of the town, so… tomorrow’s post will be MUCH more uplifting! 🙂 Many thanks for your kind and wonderful comments today, Barbara, you are a dear friend to the Toads!!

7. avatar Mike says:

What do you mean no candy here? LOL. It was eye candy from the minute I opened your page!!

• I can’t believe I missed your comments earlier, Mike, I am so sorry!!! Thank you SO much for your visit and these absolutely wonderful comments here!! We really appreciate all your friendship & support… and the witty comments! 🙂

8. avatar Jose Vazquez says:

Some great shots! Wonder what the inside looks like. I was reminded of your set earlier. I was reading an article about pedestrian bridges and the Capilano Bridge was on there. Looking forward to tomorrow’s post.

• Wow, that’s a big honor for us Jose, thanks so kindly! I’ve been to the Capilano Bridge before, years ago. Now that you bring this up, I want to go back and photograph it. It’s quite the amazing structure. Gosh, we sure do appreciate your support and comments here, my friend, thanks ever so much.

9. avatar Mindy says:

You make even the boarded up and abandoned look beautiful! That is a talent 🙂

10. avatar Tom Barnett says:

Wow Toads what an odd little find in the middle of this lovely little town. Good work!

11. In life, there’s always a balance…a little charm, a little gritt…always a JOY to stop by here Toad!!

• Urban Gritt is one of my favorite daily blogs to follow! (If you aren’t aware of Cathy’s work, we have a link here to her blog; check it out, you’ll love it!) 🙂 Thanks so so much for your ongoing friendship & support Cathy, we really appreciate that!

12. avatar Jerry Denham says:

Very neat little building Toad. The texture of the blue walls is actually very cool. Well done as usual.

13. avatar ChrisdMRF says:

I’d like to move in, book me a flight. I love this town, that little house would work well for me, hell I even like the colour scheme

• Woot! I can tell from here, we won’t have a problem with fighting crowds to secure taking ownership of this little home, not to mention I think it’s price is somewhat reduced! Let’s make that happen my friend!! LOL Thank you so much for your kind visit today Chris, we sure do appreciate that.