We’re back after a brief holiday break here at The Hollow to continue our running photoblog series “The Toad Visits Chemainus“.  Mrs. Toad and myself spent our Canada Day long weekend hopping around the island, enjoying the weather that seems to finally have turned from winter to a semblance of summer.  We managed to capture our last planned images for this series, so we’re thrilled to be back and ready to continue here with everyone!  We sure do hope that all our visitors and friends had a great long weekend too.

As we continue to hop around the tiny community of Chemainus, on Vancouver Island BC in Canada, we can begin to take in the local businesses and their character and architecture.

Local Business - Chemainus BC Canada

Local Business - Chemainus BC Canada

I love turrets, I am pretty sure I’ve mentioned this before.  Or anything that even faintly resembles a turret.  In this shot we take in a local business that is just absolutely full of character.  Some wonderful Victorian styling cues help to create a scene with a feeling of yesteryear.  The vibrant colors all speak to island living, and in the front we have an inviting bench sitting underneath and old-fashioned lamp-post.  Quaint doesn’t even begin to describe this.

Local Business - Chemainus BC Canada

Local Business - Chemainus BC Canada

If not for the cars parked, this image totally reminds me of the 1800’s.  You can almost picture a horse and buggy making their way down the road here, with lovely ladies all dressed in their finest and gentlemen with formal hats.

Local Business - Chemainus BC Canada

Local Business - Chemainus BC Canada

Local Business - Chemainus BC Canada

Local Business - Chemainus BC Canada

A gentleman must be neatly trimmed to entertain the ladies, so no visit to an old town would be complete without dropping by the local barbers.  You can get the latest scuttlebutt of all the locals, talk about the sports scores and discuss the coming summer months and chores that need doing.  It’s much more than just a barber shop, it’s the social outlet for the local gentlemen.

We’ve got some more great new images coming from the Chemainus series tomorrow, so if you’ve enjoyed following along we encourage you to stay tuned.  As always, we love to hear from all our visitors so please do feel free to leave us some comments today!

There certainly is some great old architecture in town and you have captured it beautifully Toad.

2. avatar jimdenham says:

This town is its own for sure! What style and flare in house design! Great work here guys!

3. Beautiful images. You guys never fail to deliver.

great series of shots Toad, lovely colors, sure looks like wonderful weather up there!

• We’re starting to believe that summer is around the corner! Finally!! Been one heckuva long winter up here this year. Thanks so kindly for your visit & wonderful comments today, Jim, I don’t even know how to begin to thank you fine sir!

5. avatar Viveca Koh says:

Hope that you and Mrs Toad had a good brief break, and also belated Happy Canada Day to you both! Thanks for sharing another glimpse into island life that we Brits would otherwise never see 🙂

• Thank you ever so much Viveca, we sure do appreciate your kindness! We had a GREAT break, my friend, and thank you so much for your wonderful Canada Day wishes! And as always, your visit here today means the whole world to us, my friend, thank you so much.

6. avatar boblu262 says:

Such great architecture! looks like a wonderful place to visit and photograph.

7. I Love Love Love how you highlighted the green trim…my all time favorite color and what a “pop” it has in these gorgeous images! Great work my Friend!

8. avatar Tom Barnett says:

Welcome back! Great post today. Looks like a great place to visit. Thanks for taking us there!

9. I can’t get enough of this picturesque little town. Benches everywhere really welcome strolling visitors and reveal the character of a place. I’m happy to see some blue, summer skies and hope that you both had a relaxing, much needed, holiday.

• Barbara, you are ever so kind my dear friend, thank you so much! We had a wonderful break and are really happy to be back here in the Lily Pad postin’ up a storm of images to share with everyone. We really appreciate your visit and wonderful comments today, my friend!