Inbound On The Inlet

Posted: 15th June 2011 by ToadHollowPhoto in Photography
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

As a photographer, every once in a while you take a picture you’re not sure of.  Maybe you were in a bit of a rush, didn’t have a chance to spend the full time you wanted on composition or framing.  Maybe there were some elements visible that weren’t really part of the vision you were going for.  And every once in a while when you bring those shots in for post-processing you get a bit of pleasant surprise.  Today’s post is one of those.

I was in a rush this day and thought the Saanich Inlet may be a good scene to capture.  When I was taking this picture, I was focused on the Coast Guard boat and didn’t really notice the plane inbound for landing in the airport that is directly behind me in this scene.

Saanich Inlet - Vancouver Island, BC, Canada

Saanich Inlet - Vancouver Island, BC, Canada

It was during post-processing that I noticed the plane inbound there in the sky.   I thought it added an extra touch of drama to an already fairly dramatic scene.  Sometimes it’s these surprises in the field of photography that are truly special.

This picture was captured in the Saanich Inlet, as mentioned.  This inlet is located at the north end of the Saanich Peninsula and is a very busy place here on the lower island.  Our international airport is right behind us, and we are looking at one of the docks where the Coast Guard parks their hot rods.  In the distance, we can see the gentle sloping mountains of Vancouver Island.  I just thought this was a perfect image of dichotomy…  island living tends to be rather laid back and simple, yet here we’ve got quite the flurry of activity, really.

We really hope you’ve enjoyed today’s post, please stay tuned as tomorrow we’re rolling out something VERY special and unique…  inside pictures of a castle.  That’s all I’ll say for now.  In the meantime, we welcome you to leave us comments as we truly love to hear from all our visitors.

1. avatar nikotev01 says:

Perfect blog with interesting content and design! If you like interesting photos, you can see my blog http://nikolaygeorgievkotev.wordpress.com/.
    Best wishes
    Nick

2. avatar Heather says:

I too love surprises when you sit down to process an image! This is so cool 🙂

Isn’t it funny how you get fixed on something so hard that all other things are totally oblivious to you? Definitely has happened to me, but usually in a bad way! Nice post Toads!

4. never been to BC before, but this picture really makes me want to go!

its a nice shot. i didn’t even realize that was a plane. I thought it was a bird! 🙂

• Wow, Charles, it’s such an honor to see you pop by and leave these great comments my friend! If EVER you get up here, please do let us know, we’d be delighted to show you around and we’ll make sure you have a great time!! To be honest, when I started to post process this image, I thought at first it was a bird too… a little closer look revealed indeed it was a plane!! Thanks so much for your visit today!

5. Is that called HDR Toning in your photos? Pretty cool effect.

• Yes, indeed, it is! We love to specialize in HDR photography here at The Hollow, but we also do conventional work. It sure was great to have you visit and leave us these comments today, we sure do appreciate that!

Nice ones! Don;t worry I think everyone has those they are not sure of. I have tons of’em!

On a side note, a friend from work visited your little island a week ago. I guess she went zip lining. Said the place was awesome!

• Thanks so much for your visit Aaron! What GREAT comments here, where to start!!… Zip Lining, eh? I believe I know EXACTLY where she did that; just before you come into the little town of Sooke, would be my first guess! Mrs. Toad and myself are really wanting to try that, ourselves. Well, if your friend said it was so great, does that mean you might come for a visit sometime Aaron? We’d be delighted to get a chance to meet and show you around, that’s for sure!! As always, thanks so much for your kind comments my friend, they truly mean so much to us!

7. avatar ChrisdMRF says:

I absolutely love this Toad my friend, it’s great when these things happen and they add to the scene

8. Unexpected elements in the frame are the very best surprises. I love the plane in the sky, but how does the plane on that little spit of land, take off? Does he back up? You have a perfect subject triangle Toad; well done!

• We’re honored with your comments today, Barbara! I believe the little plane on the spit there needs to wait for high tide and then takes off from the ocean… we have a lot of float-planes here on the island, including some rich dude who owns on and uses it on the lake our lil’ old farmhouse is situated on. That’s fun on a early Saturday morning, to have a plane buzz your house. But, I digress! We sure do appreciate your visit & support Barbara, you are a wonderful friend to The Toads!!

9. avatar Cathy Ross says:

Lovely capture Toad! The plane is an added bonus! Isn’t that funny we chose the same name for our back to back posts? I had that one in the queue w/that name ready to go 🙂 Synchronicity is a beautiful thing! Hope you Toads have a wonderful evening! 🙂

• I have to say “Great Minds Think Alike”! Has anyone seen my mind around here?? It’s pretty small, and easy to overlook! LOL 🙂 Thank you so much for your wonderful comments & visit today, Cathy!

10. avatar Jerry Denham says:

Great post and shot Toad. Unexpected surprises like these are extremely cool.