Up A Tree

Posted: 19th April 2011 by ToadHollowPhoto in Photography
Tags: , , , , ,

This is one busy Toad today, folks!  I am sorry if I am sparsely available today, I’ve got some priority work to deal with and may be sporadic with our involvement online.  We purchased a new 50mm prime lens earlier this week to accommodate some upcoming commission shoots we are anticipating.  I’ve been working with this new lens to try to revise my work-flow to deal with the differences in dealing with a prime lens.  I thought today’s post could showcase a few shots taken with this new lens as well as be an anecdote for my day.

That is to say, this Toad Is Up A Tree today.

Without any further ado, let’s take a peek at a few images.

Tree - Beacon Hill Park, Victoria BC Canada

Tree - Beacon Hill Park, Victoria BC Canada

Tree - Beacon Hill Park, Victoria BC Canada

Tree - Beacon Hill Park, Victoria BC Canada

Tree - Beacon Hill Park, Victoria BC Canada

Tree - Beacon Hill Park, Victoria BC Canada

Tree - Beacon Hill Park, Victoria BC Canada

Tree - Beacon Hill Park, Victoria BC Canada

These trees were all shot with our new Prime 50mm lens.  All pictures were taken at Victoria’s iconic Beacon Hill Park on Vancouver Island.  I have ultimately fallen in love with this lens and hope to use it as much as possible; the resultant images are clear and sharp beyond belief.  I will be posting a few images of some close-up work I did with it later, the ability to control the DOF with this lens is simply incredible.  But, it’s a versatile piece of glass to have in your camera bag, it can obviously be used to take pictures of landscapes as well as close-ups and portraits.

I’d like to take this chance to give a special shout-out to my good good friend, Jim Denham, who mentored and guided me with his experience and insight.  It was through his guidance that we decided to go ahead and get this lens to add to our photographic toolkit.  Thanks Jim, we sure do appreciate you my friend!

I am so sorry that I have to post and hop here, folks; I hope to meet up with everyone online today but as mentioned this maybe sporadic at best.  I hope you all understand.  Please do feel free to leave a comment, we really love to hear from our visitors!!!

Great work on these Toad. I really like the last two shots!!

Ahh, the good ol Nifty Fifty. I don;t nearly use mine as much as I should 🙁 I need to remove my 70-300L and take my 50 for a walk. You have inspired me good sir!

I really love that shot with the wood fence, it’s great!

3. avatar Kristi Hines says:

What beautiful photos! I just want to have a picnic underneath those trees. It looks like with a nice breeze, it would just be perfect!

• You bet Kristi, this is a wonderful place to sit and enjoy a day! Get on up here and Mrs. Toad and myself will treat you to the world’s best ice cream cones, which are available right across the street!! 🙂

4. I love my 50mm! Welcome to the club! Well done on these shots! I especially like the last one!

5. These images are luscious, Toad. I know you love your new lens, but I think that the photographer has a little to do with these awesome shots – beautifully composed.

6. avatar Chris Wray says:

Gorgeous color and texture, Toad! Sounds like business is picking up for you. Congratulations! I love my 50mm prime lens. It’s the cheapo Canon f/1.8, but for the money, it’s outstanding. Thanks for the glimpse of spring in BC. Spring temps here in CO, but vegetation is still quite dormant–soooo dry.

• Thanks Chris!!! REALLY appreciate your support & encouragement my friend! It’s been a brutal winter here this year, we are very much looking forward to something that is a little warmer ourselves. Hope some good weather is heading your way soon, my friend!

7. avatar Heather says:

Ooooooh I so need to find a weeping willow and shoot away!!!!! Lovin it Toad!

8. avatar Tom Barnett says:

Looks like the new lens is working out great! Tack sharp!

Fantastic work Toads! You’ve definitely started off well with the new toy! Glad I could I help!

10. Spectacular!! I love the look of a 50mm prime. I’m just getting used to my new one too…and you’ve give me some great inspiration!!

• Most excellent, thanks Cathy! Yeh, I can honestly say you will fall in love with it. Super sharp and crisp results. I have had to change my technique a bit to fully take on the prime lens with HDR photography, but I love a challenge so it’s been fun!

11. avatar Tom Baker says:

TH that last shot is brilliant. I like the others, but the bottom one is fantastic.

• Thank you Tom!!! I’ve got a smile from ear to ear from your comments this morning; coming from you this means a ton to us here! Really appreciate you taking the time to visit, thanks my friend!

12. avatar Jason Hines says:

Great shots as usually. I particularly like the blossoms on that first tree.