With much aplomb we return to our roots and first love of photography today; old historic homes on Vancouver Island.  I’ve been anxiously awaiting a chance to post these images as I truly love them all.

No. 22 - Victoria BC Canada

No. 22 - Victoria BC Canada

This is a quintessential weathered Victoria home.  It has many interesting architectural elements evident to it; in this image the worn stairs that lead to the wonderful brown door and the stonework that comprises the foundation are really full of textures and details to enjoy.

No. 22 - Victoria BC Canada

No. 22 - Victoria BC Canada

In this image we really take that front door in fully.  The stairs that lead up to it show years of wear and love…  this siding is worn from years of pelting rain and the window frames are peeling.  The bird bath by the stairs there just adds an incredible element of interest to this scene.

No. 22 - Victoria BC Canada

No. 22 - Victoria BC Canada

Vancouver Island is full of wonderful old-growth forest.  Many of our communities and homes are nestled amongst these trees, even in some of the more urban settings.  This image really conveys a sense of scale in terms of the little house that lives among the massive trees.  The greens are rich and vibrant this time of year as winter passes and spring brings its beautiful bounties of renewal and regrowth.

No. 22 - Victoria BC Canada

No. 22 - Victoria BC Canada

In this image we see the house is part of the yard, and the yard is part of the house.  The weathered exterior just adds so much character and leaves you wondering about the stories of those who have lived here over the years.  I have to say, Mrs. Toad and myself would live in this house in a heartbeat, we truly love it.

No. 22 - Victoria BC Canada

No. 22 - Victoria BC Canada

These beautiful old character homes will always be my first and foremost love for photographic subjects.  There is just so much for the viewer to take in and enjoy in these scenes, I find myself compelled to continue our work on this project.  These old homes convey such a strong sense of cold and warm, both at the same time…  the years may not have been kind to her siding and window frames, but these same years were filled with laughter and joy from the families who have been lucky enough to live here.

Thanks so much for taking the time to pop by for a visit and a view today, please feel free to leave us some comments as we love to hear from our visitors!!

What an interesting place! The number on the door is quite interesting! well done!

• Thanks so much Jim, I really don’t fully know why I am so drawn to such scenes… I agree, that door is the bomb on this series in my books… thanks for taking the time to visit and leave such great comments today my friend!!

2. avatar Tom Barnett says:

Wow! What a great house. So much character that you’ve managed to bring out in your photos and text. Too bad you cheated and used a digital camera;)

• I tried to do the “Jedi Mind Trick” whereby I see the image and then telepathically send that to all my friends and family, but have had somewhat limited success Tom! LOL

This is definitely an inside joke between Tom and myself, for our other visitors who may be scratching their heads right now…

Thank you so much my dear friend for popping by and leaving such a wonderful, and FUNNY, comment today for us!! 🙂

3. avatar Cathy Ross says:

I love the look you get in your processing Toad…just beautiful, as always!

4. avatar tom dinning says:

Where the hell do you find these places, Toad? Are you sure we’re on the same planet. Its like looking at an old episode of Greenacres or The Clampets. I reckon if you hand around long enough a Troll will appear at one of the windows.
    Now there’s a thought. Do you ever phot0graph the owners?

• We do refer to our evil ex-stepmom as a Troll, but she lives down the street in a trailer in a trailer park. No, I’m serious. LOL Some of these areas I get into to take these photos have some residents with “alternative income sources” that sometimes require them to be “slightly armed”. Some of them have “advanced biological security devices” known more commonly as pit bulls. I would love to shoot some of the owners of these places, it would really add a whole lot to the overall thing… however, the ones I’ve met so far I’ve had to outrun…. I’m more of a Ninja Toad… get in there, get the shot, and hop like hell outta town!

It sure means the world to us to have you pop by for a visit today Tom! This is a huge deal for us Toad’s here at The Hollow!! For our regular visitors who may not know Tom, he is a teacher of photography, a source of inspiration, a mentor and a dear dear friend to us amphibian types ’round these parts. 🙂

• avatar tom dinning says:

My neighbours are like that as well but they must be good at what they do ’cause they live in flash homes. I’ll post a few shots on LS later to show you. My neighbour drives a Lamborgini and has ‘house guests’ coming and going all night, then he sleeps during the day. Chrisitine thinks he’s a pimp. I’m not going to ask. There’s always strange vehicles appearing in the street with even stranger men doing ‘deals’ under the cover of darkness. And they never speak English; mostly Greek and Italian. Even our Mayor was recently charged with drug and gun offences – and he’s still our Mayor.
        I’ll try your ‘shoot and run’ strategy. If you don’t hear from me again, you can have my cameras.

• That’s a crazy story Tom! I can’t believe that. We’ve actually got a district (Langford) that has a murder mystery story behind it as well. Someone who was an official for the city took his 2 sons and planned & executed a cold blooded murder on someone they had a personal beef with…. the funny thing is they were removed from the city council (I guess first degree murder is something that is impossible to quietly sweep under the carpet) but when their criminal case came up they basically were fined and released. I can’t remember the details exactly, but the punishment sure didn’t meet the crime. I sometimes wonder who is in charge these days, and what are they thinking… that’s a rhetorical question, you really don’t have to answer that.

Please be careful Tom, if you are going to be out and about taking shots of Mr. Lamborghini’s house there, please were Kevlar and some top quality sneakers.

Oh yeh, I will send a PM to Christine later with our home address for shipping purposes…

Thanks so much for visiting and leaving these great comments Tom, it’s just awesome to see you pop by!!

5. avatar Jerry Denham says:

Neat house and great pics, Toad. Love the vine growth on the old weathered house. The green stands out against it. Nice!

• Thank you SO much for your visit and great comments today, Jim, that’s just awesome! Really glad you had a chance to swing by today and check this post out, and you enjoyed it. Cheers, my friend!!

6. Great set of shots, Toad! I love them all! Absolutely love the way you’ve captured them and they greenery around the area!

Wow, that is a lot of vines all over that house. Great shots as always Toad!

8. avatar Jason Hines says:

I love the look of this house. It looks shabby on the outside but I feel like it would be cozy inside. Great capture Toad!

9. avatar Viveca Koh says:

I love the fact that there are so many trees surrounding all the properties, it looks like a lovely place to live, so tranquil. Thanks for sharing this slice of Vancouver Island life!

• Thank you SO much for your visit and comments today, Viveca! We really can consider ourselves lucky for where we live… sure love to share it with everyone! Thanks again, you’re the best my friend!

10. avatar chriscaff says:

Such wonderful, photogenic buildings. Most of us can aonly sigh and dream of living somewhere so pretty. Your images are simply stunning.

• Wow, Chris, we are totally blown away today with your comments! That means so much to us, thank you so kindly for taking the time to visit and leave your thoughts with us!! Please come again if you can!!